Robust Misspecification Tests for the Heckman's Two-Step Estimator
AbstractThis article constructs and evaluates Lagrange multiplier (LM) and Neyman's C(α) tests based on bivariate Edgeworth series expansions for the consistency of the Heckman's two-step estimator in sample selection models, that is, for marginal normality and linearity of the conditional expectation of the error terms. The proposed tests are robust to local misspecification in nuisance distributional parameters. Monte Carlo results show that testing marginal normality and linearity of the conditional expectations separately have a better size performance than testing bivariate normality. Moreover, the robust variants of the tests have better empirical size than nonrobust tests, which determines that these tests can be successfully applied to detect specific departures from the null model of bivariate normality. Finally, the tests are applied to women's labor supply data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Econometric Reviews.
Volume (Year): 30 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/LECR20
Other versions of this item:
- Montes-Rojas, G., 2008. "Robust misspecification tests for the Heckman’s two-step estimator," Working Papers 08/01, Department of Economics, City University London.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gallant, A Ronald & Nychka, Douglas W, 1987. "Semi-nonparametric Maximum Likelihood Estimation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 363-90, March.
- Newey, Whitney K & Powell, James L & Walker, James R, 1990.
"Semiparametric Estimation of Selection Models: Some Empirical Results,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 80(2), pages 324-28, May.
- Lee, Lung-Fei, 1982. "Some Approaches to the Correction of Selectivity Bias," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(3), pages 355-72, July.
- James Heckman & Justin L. Tobias & Edward Vytlacil, 2003.
"Simple Estimators for Treatment Parameters in a Latent-Variable Framework,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 85(3), pages 748-755, August.
- Heckman, J J & Tobias, Justin & Vytlacil, Ed, 2003. "Simple Estimators for Treatment Parameters in a Latent Variable Framework," Staff General Research Papers 12012, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Jaggia, Sanjiv & Trivedi, Pravin K., 1994. "Joint and separate score tests for state dependence and unobserved heterogeneity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1-2), pages 273-291.
- Moshe Buchinsky, 1998. "The dynamics of changes in the female wage distribution in the USA: a quantile regression approach," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(1), pages 1-30.
- Gabler, Siegfried & Laisney, Francois & Lechner, Michael, 1993. "Seminonparametric Estimation of Binary-Choice Models with an Application to Labor-Force Participation," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(1), pages 61-80, January.
- Bera, Anil K. & Yoon, Mann J., 1993. "Specification Testing with Locally Misspecified Alternatives," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(04), pages 649-658, August.
- Lee, Lung-Fei, 1984. "Tests for the Bivariate Normal Distribution in Econometric Models with Selectivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(4), pages 843-63, July.
- Bera, Anil K & Jarque, Carlos M & Lee, Lung-Fei, 1984. "Testing the Normality Assumption in Limited Dependent Variable Models," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 25(3), pages 563-78, October.
- Claudia PIGINI, 2012. "Of Butterflies and Caterpillars: Bivariate Normality in the Sample Selection Model," Working Papers 377, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Riccardo Lucchetti & Claudia Pigini, 2013. "A test for bivariate normality with applications in microeconometric models," Statistical Methods and Applications, Springer, vol. 22(4), pages 535-572, November.
- Riccardo LUCCHETTI & Claudia PIGINI, 2011. "Conditional Moment Tests for Normality in Bivariate Limited Dependent Variable Models: a Monte Carlo Study," Working Papers 357, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.