R&D, firm size and incremental product innovation
AbstractThis article addresses an issue that is debated in the economics of innovation literature, namely the existence of increasing returns to R&D expenditures and firm size, in product innovation. It explores further how the firm's structural characteristics and contextual factors affect the sustained introduction of new components over a relatively long time period. Taking advantage of an original and unique database comprising information on new product announcements by leading semiconductor producers, we show that: (i) decreasing returns to size and R&D expenditures characterize the innovation production function of the sampled firms; (ii) producers operating a larger product portfolio exhibit a higher propensity to introduce new products than their specialized competitors; (iii) aging has positive bearings on the firm's ability to innovate.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Economics of Innovation and New Technology.
Volume (Year): 20 (2011)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/GEIN20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Akcigit, Ufuk & Bloom , Nicholas & Kerr , William, 2013.
"Innovation, reallocation and growth,"
Research Discussion Papers
22/2013, Bank of Finland.
- William Kerr & Ufuk Akcigit & Nicholas Bloom & Daron Acemoglu, 2012. "Innovation, Reallocation and Growth," 2012 Meeting Papers 1137, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Daron Acemoglu & Ufuk Akcigit & Nicholas Bloom & William R. Kerr, 2013. "Innovation, reallocation and growth," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 51556, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Daron Acemoglu & Ufuk Akcigit & Nicholas Bloom & William R. Kerr, 2013. "Innovation, Reallocation and Growth," NBER Working Papers 18993, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daron Acemoglu & Ufuk Akcigit & Nicholas Bloom & William R. Kerr, 2013. "Innovation, Reallocation and Growth," CEP Discussion Papers dp1216, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Daron Acemoglu & Ufuk Akcigit & Nicholas Bloom & William Kerr, 2013. "Innovation, Reallocation And Growth," Working Papers 13-23, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Daron Acemoglu & Ufuk Akcigit & Nicholas Bloom & William R. Kerr, 2013. "Innovation, Reallocation and Growth," PIER Working Paper Archive 13-018, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.