I'm too clever for this job: a bivariate probit analysis on overeducation and job satisfaction in Australia
AbstractUsing data from the first wave of the Household, Income and Labour Dynamics in Australia data set, this article establishes an empirical relationship between overeducation and workplace satisfaction for Australian adult males in the labour force. In a departure from much of the existing literature, both univariate and bivariate probit models are used to account for potential unobserved heterogeneity. We find that estimates in the univariate probit models are positively biased for three of the six measures of workplace satisfaction studied. This suggests that consideration should be given to the use of bivariate models when studying the determinants of workplace satisfaction and overeducation. Results show, although levels of satisfaction remain high, that across all measures of workplace satisfaction overeducated workers are less satisfied compared to their nonovereducated counterparts. This intimates that satisfaction levels should be viewed from a relative, rather than an absolute perspective. 'Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work' Aristotle 384BC-322BC
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 40 (2008)
Issue (Month): 9 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- McGuinness, Seamus & Sloane, Peter J., 2009.
"Labour Market Mismatch Among UK Graduates: An Analysis Using REFLEX Data,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4168, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- McGuinness, Seamus & Sloane, Peter J., 2011. "Labour market mismatch among UK graduates: An analysis using REFLEX data," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 130-145, February.
- Seamus McGuinness & Peter J. Sloane, 2009. "Labour Market Mismatch Among UK Graduates; An Analysis Using REFLEX Data," Papers WP294, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Tani, Massimiliano, 2012.
"Does immigration policy affect the education--occupation mismatch? Evidence from Australia,"
Australian Bulletin of Labour,
National Institute of Labour Studies, vol. 38(2), pages 111-141.
- Tani, Massimiliano, 2012. "Does Immigration Policy Affect the Education-Occupation Mismatch? Evidence from Australia," IZA Discussion Papers 6937, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Castellano, Rosalia & Punzo, Gennaro & Rocca, Antonella, 2013. "Women’s job search propensity and selection effect in European labour markets," MPRA Paper 50869, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Michael Quinn & Stephen Rubb, 2011. "Spouse Overeducation and Family Migration: Evidence from the US," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 36-45, March.
- Iñaki Iriondo Mújica & María Dolores Grandal & Elena Gallego, 2009. "Inserción laboral y calidad del empleo de los licenciados de la Universidad Complutense," Documentos de trabajo de la Facultad de Ciencias EconÃ³micas y Empresariales 09-05, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales.
- Humpert, Stephan, 2013.
"Gender Differences in Life Satisfaction and Social Participation,"
46775, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Stephan Humpert, 2013. "Gender Differences in Life Satisfaction and Social Participation," International Journal of Economic Sciences and Applied Research (IJESAR), Technological Educational Institute (TEI) of Kavala, Greece, vol. 6(3), pages 123-142, December.
- Stephan Humpert, 2013. "Gender Differences in Life Satisfaction and Social Participation," Working Paper Series in Economics 276, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Jones, Melanie K. & Mavromaras, Kostas G. & Sloane, Peter J. & Wei, Zhang, 2011. "Disability and Job Mismatches in the Australian Labour Market," IZA Discussion Papers 6152, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Melanie K. Jones & Peter J. Sloane, 2010.
"Disability and Skill Mismatch,"
The Economic Record,
The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 86(s1), pages 101-114, 09.
- Vera Rocha & Anabela Carneiro & Celeste Amorim Varum, 2013. "Entrepreneurship Dynamics: Entry Routes, Business-Owner's Persistence and Exit Modes," CEF.UP Working Papers 1310, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Piper, Alan T., 2012.
"Heaven knows I’m miserable now: overeducation and reduced life satisfaction,"
46926, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised May 2013.
- Piper, Alan T., 2012. "Heaven knows I’m miserable now: overeducation and reduced life satisfaction," MPRA Paper 43259, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.