Social interactions and the contemporaneous determinants of individuals' weight
AbstractObesity and overweight are central issues in the public health debate in most developed countries. In this debate, some of the socio-economic determinants of obesity and overweight are still relatively unexplored. This paper presents an empirical examination of the possible influence of social interactions on contemporaneous obesity and (over)underweight. A joint estimation model for obesity and self-image is applied to a sample for Spain taken from the European Union household panel for 1998. The results suggest that obesity might be in part a social phenomenon connected to individuals' social life.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 36 (2004)
Issue (Month): 20 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
Other versions of this item:
- Joan Costa-Font & Joan Gil, . "Social interactions and the contemporaneous determinants of individuals’ weight," Working Papers 2004-19, FEDEA.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gary S. Becker, 1974.
"A Theory of Social Interactions,"
NBER Working Papers
0042, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-61, January.
- George A. Akerlof & Rachel E. Kranton, 2000. "Economics And Identity," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 115(3), pages 715-753, August.
- Komlos, John & Smith, Patricia K. & Bogin, Barry, 2003. "Obesity and the Rate of Time Preference: Is there a Connection?," Discussion Papers in Economics 60, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Tomas Philipson, 2001. "The world-wide growth in obesity: an economic research agenda," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(1), pages 1-7.
- Rodolfo Nayga, 2001. "Effect of Schooling on Obesity: Is Health Knowledge a Moderating Factor?," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(2), pages 129-137.
- Costa-Font, J & Fabbri, D & Gil, J, 2008.
"Decomposing Bodymass Index gaps between Mediterranean countries: A Counterfactual Quantile Regression Analysis,"
Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers
08/02, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- Costa-Font, Joan & Fabbri, Daniele & Gil, Joan, 2009. "Decomposing body mass index gaps between Mediterranean countries: A counterfactual quantile regression analysis," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 351-365, December.
- Joan Costa-Font & Daniele Fabbri & Joan Gil, 2008. "Decomposing Body Mass Index Gaps Between Mediterranean Countries: A Counterfactual Quantile Regression Analysis," Working Papers 2008-11, FEDEA.
- Papoutsi, Georgia & Drichoutis, Andreas & Nayga, Rodolfo, 2011.
"The causes of childhood obesity: A survey,"
30992, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Corinne Mette, . "Wellbeing and dependency among European elderly: The role of social integration," Working Papers 2005-12, FEDEA.
- Costa-Font, Joan & Gil, Joan, 2005. "Obesity and the incidence of chronic diseases in Spain: A seemingly unrelated probit approach," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 188-214, July.
- Ana Carolina Ortega Masagué, . "La situación laboral de los inmigrantes en España: Un análisis descriptivo," Working Papers 2005-08, FEDEA.
- Eiji Yamamura, 2012.
"Influence of body image in urbanized areas: differences in long-term changes in teenage body mass index between boys and girls in Japan,"
Journal of Bioeconomics,
Springer, vol. 14(3), pages 243-256, October.
- Yamamura, Eiji, 2010. "Influence of body image in urbanized areas: Differences in long-term changes in teenage body mass index between boys and girls in Japan," MPRA Paper 23436, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yamamura, Eiji, 2010. "Comparison of long-term changes in teenage body mass index between urban and other areas in Japan from 1986 to 2003," MPRA Paper 21798, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Joan Costa-Fonta & Joan Gil, 2012.
"Intergenerational and Socioeconomic Gradients of Child Obesity,"
- Costa-Font, Joan & Gil, Joan, 2013. "Intergenerational and socioeconomic gradients of child obesity," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 93(C), pages 29-37.
- Joan Costa Font & Joan Gil Trasfi, 2005. "Obesity and the Incidence of Chronic Diseases: a Seemingly Unrelated Probit Approach," Working Papers in Economics 137, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Nikolaou, Agelike & Nikolaou, Dimitrios, 2009. "Socioeconomic, Health and Behavioural Determinants of Obesity in Europe," Review of Applied Economics, Review of Applied Economics, vol. 5(1-2).
- Joan Costa i Font & Joan Gil, . "Are there Socio-Economic Inequalities in Obesity in Spain?," Studies on the Spanish Economy 217, FEDEA.
- Peña Sánchez, Antonio Rafael, 2006. "Las Disparidades Económicas Intrarregionales en Andalucía y la Hipótesis de Convergencia: 1955-1997," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 24, pages 877-908, Diciembre.
- Simon Sosvilla-Rivero & Pedro N. Rodríguez, .
"Linkages in international stock markets: Evidence from a classification procedure,"
- Simon Sosvilla-Rivero & Pedro Rodriguez, 2010. "Linkages in international stock markets: evidence from a classification procedure," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(16), pages 2081-2089.
- Namkee Ahn & Juan Ramón García & José A. Herce, . "Demographic Uncertainty and Health Care Expenditure in Spain," Working Papers 2005-07, FEDEA.
- Costa-Font, Joan & Gil, Joan, 2008. "What lies behind socio-economic inequalities in obesity in Spain A decomposition approach," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 61-73, February.
- Joan Gil & Toni Mora, 2010. "Some Students are Bigger than Others, Some Students’ Peers are Bigger than Other Students’ Peers," Working Papers 2010-18, FEDEA.
- Auld, M. Christopher, 2011. "Effect of large-scale social interactions on body weight," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 303-316, March.
- Joan Costa-i-Font & Núria Mas & Patricia Navarro, 2013. "Globesity: is globalization a pathway to obesity?," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 49488, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Averett, Susan L. & Argys, Laura & Kohn, Jennifer L., 2012. "Immigration, Obesity and Labor Market Outcomes in the UK," IZA Discussion Papers 6454, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.