The effect of risk-based capital requirements on profit efficiency in banking
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is twofold: to show how to measure profit efficiency in banking using a newly developed technique, and to use that technique to determine the effect of risk-based capital requirements on the profit performance of US banks. The measure of profit efficiency used captures deviations from profit maximization arising from technical inefficiency, caused by a lack of managerial oversight and allocative inefficiency, which is caused by managers choosing a nonoptimal mix of inputs and outputs. A leverage ratio constraint and a risk-weighted capital ratio constraint are explicitly included in the model, which allows identification of the effect on profits of those constraints. The techniques are applied to random samples of US banks for 1990, 1992, and 1994. The results indicate that allocative inefficiency is a larger source of profit loss than technical inefficiency and that the risk-based capital standards have a significant effect on bank allocative efficiency.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 36 (2004)
Issue (Month): 15 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Park, Kang H. & Weber, William L., 2006. "A note on efficiency and productivity growth in the Korean Banking Industry, 1992-2002," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(8), pages 2371-2386, August.
- Ben Naceur, Samy & Kandil, Magda, 2009.
"The impact of capital requirements on banks' cost of intermediation and performance: The case of Egypt,"
Journal of Economics and Business,
Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 70-89.
- Magda Kandil & Samy Ben Naceur, 2008. "The Impact of Capital Requirements on Banks’ Cost of Intermediation and Performance: The Case of Egypt," Working Papers 430, Economic Research Forum, revised Aug 2008.
- Joana Resende & Elvira Silva, 2007. "A Profit Efficiency Perspective on the Future Strategic Positioning of the Portuguese Banks," CEF.UP Working Papers 0702, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Musshoff, Oliver & Hirschauer, Norbert & Herink, Michael, 2009. "Bei welchen Problemstrukturen sind Data-Envelopment-Analysen sinnvoll? Eine kritische WÃ¼rdigung," German Journal of Agricultural Economics, Humboldt-Universitaet zu Berlin, Department for Agricultural Economics, vol. 58(2).
- Mamatzakis, E & Koutsomanoli, A, 2009. "Risk in the EU banking industry and efficiency under quantile analysis," MPRA Paper 22492, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- J. W. B. Bos & M. Koetter, 2011.
"Handling losses in translog profit models,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(3), pages 307-312.
- J.W.B. Bos & M. Koetter, 2007. "Handling losses in translog profit models," Working Papers 07-17, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Bos, J.W.B. & Koetter, M., 2006. "Handling losses in translog profit models," MPRA Paper 1433, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bos, J.W.B. & Koetter, M., 2007. "Handling losses in translog profit models," Research Report 07001, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Koutsomanoli-Filippaki, Anastasia I. & Mamatzakis, Emmanuel C., 2011. "Efficiency under quantile regression: What is the relationship with risk in the EU banking industry?," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 84-95, May.
- Christian von Hirschhausen & Astrid Cullmann & Andreas Kappeler, 2006.
"Efficiency analysis of German electricity distribution utilities - non-parametric and parametric tests,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(21), pages 2553-2566.
- von Hirschhausen, Christian R. & Cullmann, Astrid, 2005. "Efficiency Analysis of German Electricity Distribution Utilities : Non-Parametric and Parametric Tests," Dresden Discussion Paper Series in Economics 06/05, Dresden University of Technology, Faculty of Business and Economics, Department of Economics.
- Fukuyama, Hirofumi & Weber, William L., 2009. "A directional slacks-based measure of technical inefficiency," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 43(4), pages 274-287, December.
- Chen, Ku-Hsieh, 2012. "Incorporating risk input into the analysis of bank productivity: Application to the Taiwanese banking industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 1911-1927.
- Mondelaers, Koen & Kuosmanen, Timo & Van Passel, Steven & Buysse, Jeroen & Lauwers, Ludwig H. & Van Huylenbroeck, Guido, 2011. "Sustainable Efficiency Of Firms When New Sustainability Targets Are Introduced," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114633, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Koutsomanoli-Filippaki, Anastasia & Mamatzakis, Emmanuel C., 2010. "Estimating the speed of adjustment of European banking efficiency under a quadratic loss function," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 1-11, January.
- Kamaruddin, Badrul Hisham & Safa, Mohammad Samaun & Mohd, Rohani, 2008. "Assessing production efficiency of Islamic banks and conventional bank Islamic windows in Malaysia," MPRA Paper 10670, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 10 May 2008.
- Lozano-Vivas, Ana & Pasiouras, Fotios, 2010. "The impact of non-traditional activities on the estimation of bank efficiency: International evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(7), pages 1436-1449, July.
- Ariff, Mohamed & Can, Luc, 2008. "Cost and profit efficiency of Chinese banks: A non-parametric analysis," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 260-273, June.
- Yeager, Elizabeth A. & Langemeier, Michael R., 2012. "Economic Efficiency Adjusted for Risk Preferences," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124012, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Koutsomanoli-Filippaki, Anastasia & Margaritis, Dimitris & Staikouras, Christos, 2009. "Efficiency and productivity growth in the banking industry of Central and Eastern Europe," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 557-567, March.
- Fethi, Meryem Duygun & Pasiouras, Fotios, 2010. "Assessing bank efficiency and performance with operational research and artificial intelligence techniques: A survey," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 204(2), pages 189-198, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.