Demand elasticities for international message telephone service
AbstractUsing a point-to-point model of toll demand, this paper provides estimates of own-price demand elasticities for international message telephone service. The study improves on previous studies by using more recent data and endogenizing price. Consistent with earlier studies, the demand for IMTS is found to be price inelastic, about -0.28 on average, in the short-run and near unitary elastic, -1.04 on average, in the long run. Both the level and the elasticity of demand are found to be positively related to the size of the telephone network. The own-price elasticity of demand for a select group of countries is provided.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 36 (2004)
Issue (Month): 14 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Acton, Jan Paul & Vogelsang, Ingo, 1992. "Telephone Demand over the Atlantic: Evidence from Country-Pair Data," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(3), pages 305-23, September.
- Madden, Gary & Savage, Scott J. & Tipping, Craig, 2001.
"Understanding European Union international message telephone services demand,"
Information Economics and Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 127-136, June.
- Madden, Gary G & Savage, Scott J & Tipping, Craig, 2001. "Understanding European Union international message telephone services demand," MPRA Paper 10918, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Madden, Gary & Savage, Scott J. & Coble-Neal, Grant, 2002. "Forecasting United States-Asia international message telephone service," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 523-543.
- James Alleman & Gary Madden & Scott Savage, 2003. "Dominant carrier market power in US international telephone markets," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(6), pages 665-673.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.