Survey measures of risk aversion and prudence
AbstractThis paper utilizes a thought experiment conducted by the Bank of Italy to estimate absolute and relative risk aversion along with absolute and relative prudence for a broad cross-section of Italian households. Upper and lower bounds are calculated for each parameter, and comparisons are made across socio-demographic groups. Evidence is found of decreasing absolute risk aversion, decreasing absolute prudence, increasing relative risk aversion, and increasing relative prudence.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 35 (2003)
Issue (Month): 13 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/routledge/00036846.html
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R. Mehra & E. Prescott, 2010.
"The equity premium: a puzzle,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
1401, David K. Levine.
- Miles S. Kimball, 1989.
"Precautionary Saving in the Small and in the Large,"
NBER Working Papers
2848, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kimball, Miles S, 1990. "Precautionary Saving in the Small and in the Large," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(1), pages 53-73, January.
- Robert B. Barsky & Miles S. Kimball & F. Thomas Juster & Matthew D. Shapiro, 1997. "Preference Parameters and Behavioral Heterogeneity: An Experimental Approach in the Health and Retirement Survey," NBER Working Papers 5213, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guiso, Luigi & Jappelli, Tullio & Terlizzese, Daniele, 1992.
"Earnings uncertainty and precautionary saving,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 307-337, November.
- Guiso, Luigi & Jappelli, Tullio & Terlizzese, Daniele, 1992. "Earnings Uncertainty and Precautionary Saving," CEPR Discussion Papers 699, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Giucca, P. & Jappelli, T. & Terlizzese, D., 1992. "Earning Uncertainty and Precautionary Saving," Papers 161, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Jonathan A. Parker, 1999. "The Reaction of Household Consumption to Predictable Changes in Social Security Taxes," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(4), pages 959-973, September.
- Skinner, Jonathan, 1988.
"Risky income, life cycle consumption, and precautionary savings,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 237-255, September.
- Jonathan S. Skinner, 1987. "Risky Income, Life Cycle Consumption, and Precautionary Savings," NBER Working Papers 2336, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kuehlwein, Michael, 1991. "A test for the presence of precautionary saving," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 471-475, December.
- Merrigan, Philip & Normandin, Michel, 1996.
"Precautionary Saving Motives: An Assessment from UK Time Series of Cross-Sections,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(438), pages 1193-1208, September.
- Philip Merrigan & Michel Normandin, 1994. "Precautionary Saving Motives: An Assessment from U.K. Time Series of Cross-Sections," Cahiers de recherche CREFE / CREFE Working Papers 29, CREFE, Université du Québec à Montréal.
- Blake, David, 1996. "Efficiency, Risk Aversion and Portfolio Insurance: An Analysis of Financial Asset Portfolios Held by Investors in the United Kingdom," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(438), pages 1175-92, September.
- Adam J. Grossberg, 1991. "Personal Saving under Income Uncertainty: A Test of the Intertemporal Substitution Hypothesis," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 17(2), pages 203-210, Apr-Jun.
- Mankiw, N.G. & Zeldes, S.P., 1990.
"The Consumption Of Stockholders And Non-Stockholders,"
Weiss Center Working Papers
23-90, Wharton School - Weiss Center for International Financial Research.
- Mankiw, N. Gregory & Zeldes, Stephen P., 1991. "The consumption of stockholders and nonstockholders," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 97-112, March.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Stephen P. Zeldes, 1991. "The Consumption of Stockholders and Non-Stockholders," NBER Working Papers 3402, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Monica Paiella & Luigi Guiso, 2004.
"Risk Aversion, Wealth and Background Risk,"
2004 Meeting Papers
525, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Guiso, Luigi & Paiella, Monica, 2001. "Risk Aversion, Wealth and Background Risk," CEPR Discussion Papers 2728, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Luigi Guiso & Monica Paiella, 2007. "Risk Aversion, Wealth, and Background Risk," Economics Working Papers ECO2007/47, European University Institute.
- Luigi Guiso & Monica Paiella, 2003. "Risk Aversion, Wealth and Background Risk," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 483, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Karen E. Dynan, 1993. "How prudent are consumers?," Working Paper Series / Economic Activity Section 135, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Joseph G. Eisenhauer, 2000. "Estimating Prudence," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 26(4), pages 379-392, Fall.
- Giuseppe Grande & Luigi Ventura, 2001.
"Labor Income and Risky Assets under Market Incompleteness: Evidence from Italian Data,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
399, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Grande, Giuseppe & Ventura, Luigi, 2002. "Labor income and risky assets under market incompleteness: Evidence from Italian data," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(2-3), pages 597-620, March.
- Sydney Ludvigson & Christina H. Paxson, 1997.
"Approximation bias in linearized Euler equations,"
9712, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Lusardi, Annamaria, 1997. "Precautionary saving and subjective earnings variance," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 319-326, December.
- Dynan, Karen E, 1993. "How Prudent Are Consumers?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(6), pages 1104-13, December.
- Noussair, C.N. & Trautmann, S.T. & Kuilen, G. van de, 2011. "Higher Order Risk Attitudes, Demographics, and Financial Decisions," Discussion Paper 2011-055, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- M. J. Roche, 2005.
"The equity premium puzzle and decreasing relative risk aversion,"
Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series
n1510205, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
- Maurice J. Roche, 2006. "The equity premium puzzle and decreasing relative risk aversion," Applied Financial Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 2(3), pages 179-182, May.
- Joseph G. Eisenhauer, 2006. "The Shadow Price of Morality," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 32(3), pages 437-456, Summer.
- Elyès Jouini & Selima Ben Mansour & Clotilde Napp & Jean-Michel Marin & Christian Robert, 2008.
"Are Risk Averse Agents More Optimistic? A Bayesian Estimation Approach,"
- Selima Ben Mansour & Elyès Jouini & Jean-Michel Marin & Clotilde Napp & Christian Robert, 2008. "Are risk-averse agents more optimistic? A Bayesian estimation approach," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(6), pages 843-860.
- Selima Benmansour & Elyès Jouini & Clotilde Napp & Jean-Michel Marin & Christian Robert, 2007. "Are risk averse agents more optimistic? A Bayesian estimation approach," Working Papers halshs-00163678, HAL.
- Robert, Christian P. & Napp, Clotilde & Marin, Jean-Michel & Jouini, Elyès & Ben Mansour, Selima, 2008. "Are Risk-Averse Agents more Optimistic? A Bayesian Estimation Approach," Open Access publications from UniversitÃ© Paris-Dauphine urn:hdl:123456789/2324, Université Paris-Dauphine.
- Yaffa Machnes, 2010. "An Examination of Life Insurers’ Risk Attitudes," Frontiers in Finance and Economics, SKEMA Business School, vol. 7(2), pages 125-137, October.
- Kristiaan Kerstens & Amine Mounir & Amine Mounir & Ignace Van de Woestyne, 2008.
"Geometric Representation of the Mean-Variance-Skewness Portfolio Frontier Based upon the Shortage Function,"
2008-ECO-17, IESEG School of Management.
- Kerstens, Kristiaan & Mounir, Amine & Van de Woestyne, Ignace, 2011. "Geometric representation of the mean-variance-skewness portfolio frontier based upon the shortage function," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 210(1), pages 81-94, April.
- Kerstens, Kristiaan & Mounier, Amine & Van de Woestyne, Ignace, 2008. "Geometric representation of the mean-variance-skewness portfolio frontier based upon the shortage function," Working Papers 2008/61, Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:4:y:2003:i:38:p:1-10 is not listed on IDEAS
- Luigi Ventura & Joseph G. Eisenhauer, 2005. "The Relevance of Precautionary Saving," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 6(1), pages 23-35, 02.
- Paul MAKDISSI & Quentin WODON, 2004. "Price Liberalization and Farmer Welfare Under Risk Aversion: Cotton in Benin and Ivory Coast," Cahiers de recherche 04-09, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- Eisenhauer, Joseph G., 2010. "Rank-ordering of risk preferences with conventional and discrete measures," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 291-297, August.
- Hartog, Joop & Vijverberg, Wim, 2007. "Schools, skills and risk," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 758-770, December.
- Luigi Ventura, 2003. "Direct Measures of Time Preference," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 34(3), pages 293â310.
- Natalia, Khorunzhina & Wayne Roy, Gayle, 2011. "Heterogenous intertemporal elasticity of substitution and relative risk aversion: estimation of optimal consumption choice with habit formation and measurement errors," MPRA Paper 34329, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:4:y:2007:i:23:p:1-11 is not listed on IDEAS
- Eisenhauer, Joseph G., 2008. "Ethical preferences, risk aversion, and taxpayer behavior," The Journal of Socio-Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 45-63, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.