Foreign aid, poverty reduction, and democracy
AbstractEradication of poverty is the most pervasive goal of donors' foreign aid programmes. As a result, there has been much research on the degree of correlation between aid and poverty reduction. However, this work to date has shed little light on the direction of causation between the two variables. Using the method of Granger causality, and conditioning aid and poverty on the state of democracy in developing countries, this study asks whether aid flows impact poverty, whether poverty influences aid flows, or whether causality proceeds in both directions simultaneously. While the results identify no causal relationships in some of the sub-samples, they point to the existence of a multitude of relationships across others.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 34 (2002)
Issue (Month): 17 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dierk Herzer, Peter Nunnenkamp, 2012.
"The Effect of Foreign Aid on Income Inequality: Evidence from Panel Cointegration,"
Kiel Working Papers
1762, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Herzer, Dierk & Nunnenkamp, Peter, 2012. "The effect of foreign aid on income inequality: Evidence from panel cointegration," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 245-255.
- B. Mak ARVIN & Zafar KAYANI & Marisa A. SCIGLIANO, 2009. "Environmental Aid and Economic Development in the Third World," International Journal of Applied Econometrics and Quantitative Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 9(1).
- Ma. Cecilia Calderón & Alberto Chong, 2006. "Does Foreign Aid Help Reduce Income Inequality?," Research Department Publications 4437, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Ma. Cecilia Calderón & Alberto Chong, 2006. "¿Contribuye la ayuda extranjera a reducir la desigualdad del ingreso?," Research Department Publications 4438, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Arvin, B. Mak & Kayani, Zafar, 2009. "Donor Motivation of Inter-Temporal Foreign Assistance to Nepal," Review of Applied Economics, Review of Applied Economics, vol. 5(1-2).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.