Graph efficiency and productivity measures: an application to US agriculture
AbstractHyperbolic measures of efficiency and productivity change with respect to a graph representation of production technology allow researchers to consider output and input dimensions simultaneously in measuring producer performance. Hyperbolic efficiency measures have been proposed, but empirical implementation has not followed, either in efficiency analysis or in productivity analysis. The objectives of this paper are to define hyperbolic performance measures on a graph representation of production technology, to motivate their use by stating some of their advantages over their radial counterparts, and to introduce a direct formulation to calculate them making use of Data Envelopment Analysis techniques. The ideas are illustrated by calculating hyperbolic efficiency and Malmquist productivity indexes for a US agricultural panel data set.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 33 (2001)
Issue (Month): 11 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cuesta, Rafael A. & Lovell, C.A. Knox & Zofío, José L., 2009.
"Environmental efficiency measurement with translog distance functions: A parametric approach,"
Elsevier, vol. 68(8-9), pages 2232-2242, June.
- Cuesta, Rafael A. & Knox, C.A. & Zofío, José Luis, 2007. "Environmental Efficiency Measurement with Translog Distance Functions: A Parametric Approach," Working Papers in Economic Theory 2007/02, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (Spain), Department of Economic Analysis (Economic Theory and Economic History).
- Carlos Pestana Barros & Shunsuke Managi, 2008. "Productivity Change of UK Airports: 2000-2005," Working Papers Department of Economics 2008/22, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Zofío, José Luis, 2006.
"Malmquist Productivity Index Decompositions: A Unifying Framework,"
Working Papers in Economic Theory
2006/12, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (Spain), Department of Economic Analysis (Economic Theory and Economic History).
- Jose Zofio, 2007. "Malmquist productivity index decompositions: a unifying framework," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(18), pages 2371-2387.
- Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens, 2008.
"The Luenberger Productivity Indicator: An Economic Specifcation Leading to Infeasibilities,"
2008-ECO-09, IESEG School of Management.
- Briec, Walter & Kerstens, Kristiaan, 2009. "The Luenberger productivity indicator: An economic specification leading to infeasibilities," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 597-600, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.