The persistence of unemployment in the USA and Europe in terms of fractionally ARIMA models
AbstractThis article examines the persistence of unemployment in the USA and four European countries by means of fractionally integrated ARMA (ARFIMA) models. In doing so, a type of flexibility in modelling low-frequency dynamics not achieved by non-fractionally ARIMA models can be provided. The results indicate that the unemployment series are much more persistent in some countries such as the UK and France, than in others including Germany or the USA.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 33 (2001)
Issue (Month): 10 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Uwe Hassler & Jürgen Wolters, 2009. "Hysteresis in Unemployment Rates? A Comparison between Germany and the US," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 229(2-3), pages 119-129, June.
- Ossama Mikhail & Curtis J. Eberwein & Jagdish Handa, 2003. "Testing and Estimating Persistence in Canadian Unemployment," Econometrics 0311004, EconWPA.
- Andréa Zaitune Curi & Naércio Aquino Menezes-Filho, 2005.
"A Relação Entre O Desempenho Escolar E Os Salários No Brasil,"
Anais do XXXIII Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 33th Brazilian Economics Meeting]
158, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Curi, Andréa Zaitune & Menezes Filho, N. A., 2006. "A Relação entre o Desempenho Escolar e os Salários no Brasil," Insper Working Papers wpe_51, Insper Working Paper, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
- Cleomar Gomes da Silva & Maria Carolina da Silva Leme, 2008. "Inflation and Interest Rate: Which one is more persistent in Brazil?," Anais do XXXVI Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 36th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 200807181224190, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Caporale, Guglielmo Maria & Gil-Alana, Luis A., 2008. "Modelling the US, UK and Japanese unemployment rates: Fractional integration and structural breaks," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(11), pages 4998-5013, July.
- Luis Alberiko Gil-Alana & Pedro Garcia-del-Barrio, . "New Revelations about Unemployment Persistence in Spain," Faculty Working Papers 10/06, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- O. Mikhail & C. J. Eberwein & J. Handa, 2006. "Estimating persistence in Canadian unemployment: evidence from a Bayesian ARFIMA," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(15), pages 1809-1819.
- Cuestas, Juan C. & Gil-Alana, Luis A. & Staehr, Karsten, 2011. "A further investigation of unemployment persistence in European transition economies," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 514-532.
- de Figueiredo, Erik Alencar, 2010. "Dynamics of regional unemployment rates in Brazil: Fractional behavior, structural breaks, and Markov switching," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 900-908, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.