EU participation and the external trade of Greece: an appraisal of the evidence
AbstractThis paper investigates the trade effects caused by the accession of Greece to the EU. A large part of the analysis is in terms of trade flows disaggregated by the 21 categories of the Greek Tariff Schedule. These series are original data sets which have been constructed by the author to be used here for the first time. The main message is that after 1981 events took a turn closer to the pessimistic pre-accession predictions. Our findings indicate that during the post-integration period the external trade of Greece has been reoriented towards the EU countries and Greece lost part of its comparative advantage in those sectors in which such an advantage exists. We also suggest that as far as imports are concerned, EU participation has caused gross trade creation for imports from the EU countries and gross trade diversion for imports from the Rest of the World. As far as exports are concerned, the results indicate that EU participation has caused only a modest increase in Greek exports to the EU market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 32 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Koukouritakis, Minoas, 2005.
"EU Accession Effects on the Demand for Manufactures: the Case of Greece,"
Economia Internazionale / International Economics,
Camera di Commercio di Genova, vol. 58(4), pages 471-488.
- Minoas Koukouritakis, 2005. "EU Accession Effects on the Demand for Manufactures: the Case of Greece," Working Papers 0506, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Minoas Koukouritakis, 2005. "EU Accession Effects on Export Performance: The Case of Greece," Working Papers 0516, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Minoas Koukouritakis, 2003. "EU Accession Effects on Imports of Manufactures: The case of Greece ," University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics 2-2003, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- Iannis A. Mourmouras & Michael G. Arghyrou, 1999. "Monetary Policy at the European Periphery. Greek Experience and Lessons for Transition Economies," CERT Discussion Papers 9910, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- Minoas Koukouritakis, 2003. "Trade Effects due to the EU Accession: The case of Greece ," University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics 5-2003, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- Oltheten, Elisabeth & Pinteris, George & Sougiannis, Theodore, 2003. "Greece in the European Union: policy lessons from two decades of membership," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 43(5), pages 774-806.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.