EU Accession Effects on the Demand for Manufactures: the Case of Greece
AbstractThis paper analyzes the demand for manufactures in Greece and estimates the effects from the EU accession. An error correction specification of the Almost Ideal Demand System has been used. This formulation performs well on theoretical grounds, as the restrictions that are imposed by the demand theory are supported by the data provided. The results indicate that the domestic sales of manufactures are substitutes with imports from the EU and the rest of the world. Using the residuals approach, it is found that after the EU accession, imports from both sources substituted for a large part of the domestic sales.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Crete, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 0506.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: 00 2005
Date of revision:
Elasticities; Error correction Almost Ideal Demand System; EU accession;
Other versions of this item:
- Koukouritakis, Minoas, 2005. "EU Accession Effects on the Demand for Manufactures: the Case of Greece," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio di Genova, vol. 58(4), pages 471-488.
- C30 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - General
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-11-18 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Plummer, 1991. "Ex-post empirical estimates of the second enlargement: The case of Greece," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 127(1), pages 171-182, March.
- Winters, L. Alan, 1984. "Separability and the specification of foreign trade functions," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3-4), pages 239-263, November.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-26, June.
- Michael Arghyrou, 2000. "EU participation and the external trade of Greece: an appraisal of the evidence," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(2), pages 151-159.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Balcombe, K. G. & Davis, J. R., 1996. "An application of cointegration theory in the estimation of the almost ideal demand system for food consumption in Bulgaria," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 15(1), pages 47-60, September.
- Winters, L. Alan, 1985. "Separability and the modelling of international economic integration," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 335-353.
- Winters, L Alan, 1984. "British Imports of Manufactures and the Common Market," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 36(1), pages 103-18, March.
- Georgakopoulos, Theodore A., 1993. "Trade and Welfare Effects of Common Market Membership: An Ex-post Evaluation for Greece," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio di Genova, vol. 46(4), pages 360-376.
- Karagiannis, G. & Katranidis, S. & Velentzas, K., 2000. "An error correction almost ideal demand system for meat in Greece," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 22(1), pages 29-35, January.
- Pashardes, Panos, 1993. "Bias in Estimating the Almost Ideal Demand System with the Stone Index Approximation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(419), pages 908-15, July.
- Minoas Koukouritakis, 2005. "EU Accession Effects on Export Performance: The Case of Greece," Working Papers 0516, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kostis Pigounakis).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.