He came, he saw, (and) he waited: an empirical analysis of inertia in technology adoption
AbstractThe innovation adoption literature has focused primarily on a producer's decision of whether and how much to adopt. An equally pertinent question is when to adopt, because in the case of new technologies it often 'pays to wait' for more information. We propose a double-limit hurdle model to analyse adoption intensity and inertia in the context of a divisible technology. The proposed framework incorporates probit or Tobit models as testable special cases. A maximum likelihood estimation framework is set out and generalized to account for heteroscedastic errors. The empirical analysis, which uses household-level data from India's semi-arid tropics, provides new insights into the factors influencing adoption inertia and intensity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 30 (1998)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00261523 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00343702 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:hal:cesptp:halshs-00272041 is not listed on IDEAS
- Abdulai, Awudu & Owusu, Victor & Bakang, John-Eudes A., 2011. "Adoption of safer irrigation technologies and cropping patterns: Evidence from Southern Ghana," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(7), pages 1415-1423, May.
- Johan F.M.Swinnen & Thijs Vandemoortele, 2011. "On Butterflies and Frankenstein: A Dynamic Theory of Regulation," LICOS Discussion Papers 27611, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- LOFGREN Asa & MILLOCK Katrin & NAUGES CÃ©line, 2007.
"Using Ex Post Data to Estimate the Hurdle Rate of Abatement Investments - An application to the Swedish Pulp and Paper Industry and Energy Sector,"
LERNA Working Papers
07.06.227, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- Löfgren, Åsa & Millock, Katrin & Nauges, Céline, 2007. "Using Ex Post Data to Estimate the Hurdle Rate of Abatement Investments - An Application to the Swedish Pulp and Paper Industry and Energy Sector," Working Papers in Economics 249, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Aldana, Ursula & Foltz, Jeremy D. & Barham, Bradford L. & Useche, Pilar, 2010. "The Sequential Adoption of Package Technologies: The Dynamics of Stacked Trait Corn Adoption," Staff Paper Series 556, University of Wisconsin, Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Adela Luque, 2003. "The Role of Technological and Industrial Heterogeneity In Technology Diffusion: a Markovian Approach," Working Papers 03-07, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- McEachern, Menzie & Hanson, Susan, 2008. "Socio-geographic perception in the diffusion of innovation: Solar energy technology in Sri Lanka," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 2578-2590, July.
- Corrocher, Nicoletta & Fontana, Roberto, 2008. "Objectives, obstacles and drivers of ICT adoption: What do IT managers perceive?," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 229-242, September.
- Martin, Ludivine, 2009. "Understanding the implementation of e-business strategies: Evidence from Luxembourg," MPRA Paper 13645, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Asa LÃ¶fgren & Katrin Millock & Celine Nauges, 2008.
"The effect of uncertainty on pollution abatement investments: measuring hurdle rates for Swedish industry,"
24847, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Löfgren, Åsa & Millock, Katrin & Nauges, Céline, 2008. "The effect of uncertainty on pollution abatement investments: Measuring hurdle rates for Swedish industry," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 475-491, December.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00272041 is not listed on IDEAS
- Grisham, Elisabeth & Gillespie, Jeffrey M., 2007. "Record-Keeping Technology Adoption in the Louisiana Dairy Industry," 2007 Annual Meeting, February 4-7, 2007, Mobile, Alabama 34975, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Anna Giunta & Francesco Trivieri, 2007. "Understanding the determinants of information technology adoption: evidence from Italian manufacturing firms," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(10), pages 1325-1334.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.