Macroeconomic stability and economic growth: the case of Spain
AbstractRecent contributions have pointed out to a beneficial effect of macroeconomic stability and market liberalization on economic growth. This paper analyses this issue empirically by means of cointegration techniques, using annual data from the Spanish economy, 1962-95. Some proxies of macroeconomic instability - such as inflation, public deficit and various types of public expenditure as a share of GDP - and market distortions are included in the equations as regressors. The results show a negative correlation of these proxies and economic growth. Therefore, the Spanish experience suggests that macroeconomic stability and market liberalization are prerequisites for economic growth.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 5 (1998)
Issue (Month): 9 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Zied Ftiti, 2010. "Stabilité-croissance et performance économique : quelle relation selon une revue de la littérature ?," Post-Print halshs-00537009, HAL.
- Mustafa Ismihan & Kivilcim Metin-Özcan & Aysit Tansel, 2002.
"Macroeconomic instability, capital accumulation and growth: The case of Turkey 1963-1999,"
ERC Working Papers
0204, ERC - Economic Research Center, Middle East Technical University, revised Apr 2002.
- Mustafa Ismihan & Aysit Tansel & Kivilcim Metin-Ozcan, 2002. "Macroeconomic Instability, Capital Accumulation and Growth : The Case of Turkey 1963-1999," Departmental Working Papers 0205, Bilkent University, Department of Economics.
- Mustafa Ismihan & Kivilcim Metin-Ozcan & Aysit Tansel, 2002. "Macroeconomic Instability, Capital Accumulation and Growth: The Case of Turkey 1963-1999," Working Papers 0209, Economic Research Forum, revised Mar 2002.
- Zied Ftiti, 2010. "Stabilité-croissance et performance économique : Quelle relation selon une revue de la littérature ?," Working Papers 1026, Groupe d'Analyse et de Théorie Economique (GATE), Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS), Université Lyon 2, Ecole Normale Supérieure.
- Ftiti, Zied, 2010. "The macroeconomic performance of the inflation targeting policy: An approach based on the evolutionary co-spectral analysis (extension for the case of a multivariate process)," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 468-476, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.