Electricity consumption and economic growth in Spain
AbstractThis article investigates linear and nonlinear causality between electricity consumption and economic growth in Spain for the period 1971 to 2005. We use the methodology of Toda and Yamamoto (1995) and Dolado and Lutkepohl (1996). We also apply the standard Granger causality test in a vector autoregression for the series in first differences. We find unidirectional linear causality running from real GDP to electricity consumption. By contrast, we find no evidence of nonlinear Granger causality between the series in either direction.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 17 (2010)
Issue (Month): 14 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Shahbaz, Muhammad & Mutascu, Mihai & Tiwari, Aviral Kumar, 2012.
"Revisiting the Relationship between Electricity Consumption, Capital and Economic Growth: Cointegration and Causality Analysis in Romania,"
Journal for Economic Forecasting,
Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(3), pages 97-120, September.
- Mutascu, Mihai & Shahbaz, Muhammad & Tiwari, Aviral Kumar, 2011. "Revisiting the relationship between electricity consumption, capital and economic growth: Cointegration and causality analysis in Romania," MPRA Paper 29233, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Del Hoyo, Juan & Llorente, Guillermo & Rivero, Carlos, 2011. "Consumo de electricidad y producto interior bruto: Relación dinámica y estabilidad/Electricity Consumption and GDP: Dynamic Relationship and Stability," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 29, pages 473-492, Agosto.
- Muhammad, Shahbaz, 2011. "Electricity Consumption, Financial Development and Economic Growth Nexus: A Revisit Study of Their Causality in Pakistan," MPRA Paper 35588, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 27 Dec 2011.
- Bildirici, Melike E. & Kayıkçı, Fazıl, 2012. "Economic growth and electricity consumption in former Soviet Republics," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 747-753.
- Muhammad Shahbaz & Mete Feridun, 2012. "Electricity consumption and economic growth empirical evidence from Pakistan," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 46(5), pages 1583-1599, August.
- Sbia, Rashid & Shahbaz, Muhammad, 2013. "The Weight of Economic Growth and Urbanization on Electricity Demand in UAE," MPRA Paper 47981, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 03 Jul 2013.
- Muhammad, Shahbaz & Lean, Hooi Hooi, 2011. "The Dynamics of Electricity Consumption and Economic Growth:A Revisit Study of Their Causality in Pakistan," MPRA Paper 33196, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 06 Sep 2011.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.