Returns to education and wage equations: a dynamic approach
AbstractWe study the impact of education on within-groups wage inequality using quantile-regression techniques and US data for the period 1980 to 1987. Our contribution consists of comparing estimates based on a standard Mincer equation with estimates based on a modified Mincer equation in which past earnings play the role of additional explanatory variable. We find that a dynamic model does not give the same answer as a static model regarding the impact of schooling on earnings dispersion, and provide an explanation for this result.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 14 (2007)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/routledge/13504851.html
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Andini, Corrado, 2008.
"Wage Bargaining and the (Dynamic) Mincer Equation,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3822, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Andini, Corrado, 2013. "Persistence Bias and the Wage-Schooling Model," IZA Discussion Papers 7186, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Andini, Corrado & Pereira, Pedro T., 2007. "Full-time Schooling, Part-time Schooling, and Wages: Returns and Risks in Portugal," IZA Discussion Papers 2651, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Andini, Corrado, 2007.
"Within-Groups Wage Inequality and Schooling: Further Evidence for Portugal,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2828, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Corrado Andini, 2010. "Within-groups wage inequality and schooling: further evidence for Portugal," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 42(28), pages 3685-3691.
- Corrado Andini, 2010.
"A dynamic Mincer equation with an application to Portuguese data,"
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 42(16), pages 2091-2098.
- Andini, Corrado, 2007. "A Dynamic Mincer Equation with an Application to Portuguese Data," IZA Discussion Papers 2897, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Biagetti, Marco & Scicchitano, Sergio, 2009. "Wage inequality and returns to schooling in Europe: a semi-parametric approach using EU-SILC data," MPRA Paper 19060, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Karolina Goraus & Joanna Tyrowicz, 2013. "The Goodwill Effect? Female Access to the Labor Market Over Transition: A Multicountry Analysis," Working Papers 2013-19, Faculty of Economic Sciences, University of Warsaw.
- Savina Finardi & Jakub Fischer & Petr Mazouch, 2012. "The Estimation Of Internal Rates Of Return On Human Capital Investment Differenced By Study Fields, Sex And Regions," Politická ekonomie, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2012(5), pages 563-589.
- Kripfganz, Sebastian & Schwarz, Claudia, 2013. "Estimation of linear dynamic panel data models with time-invariant regressors," Discussion Papers 25/2013, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.