Chasing trend and losing money: open end mutual fund investors' trading behaviour in Greece
AbstractThis study examines the trading behaviour of mutual fund investors, its medium-term profitability and its impact on the performance of individual funds. An important yet thinly investigated subject is examined under the prism of a small emerging stock market growing to maturity, during both a strong bull and a violent bear market. The findings of this study are insightful: Mutual fund investors do not chase past returns. The empirical evidence also suggests that they do not hunt past superior performance. However, they do seem to employ a current-performance momentum screen to pick their funds, while their trading behaviour doesn't seem to affect the concurrent performance of the fund. Finally, it is claimed that mutual fund investors are perverse fund pickers. The suggested conclusion can only be that money is inefficiently invested in mutual funds.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 11 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chevalier, J. & Ellison, G., 1996.
"Risk Taking by Mutual Funds as a Response to Incentives,"
96-3, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Chevalier, Judith & Ellison, Glenn, 1997. "Risk Taking by Mutual Funds as a Response to Incentives," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(6), pages 1167-1200, December.
- Judith A. Chevalier & Glenn D. Ellison, 1995. "Risk Taking by Mutual Funds as a Response to Incentives," NBER Working Papers 5234, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephen J. Brown & William N. Goetzmann & Takato Hiraki & Noriyoshi Shirishi & Masahiro Watanabe, 2003.
"Investor Sentiment in Japanese and U.S. Daily Mutual Fund Flows,"
NBER Working Papers
9470, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephen Brown & William Goetzmann & Takato Hiraki & Noriyoshi Shiraishi & Masahiro Watanabe, 2002. "Investor Sentiment in Japanese and U.S. Daily Mutual Fund Flows," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm274, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Apr 2008.
- Steven J. Brown & William N. Goetzmann & Takato Hiraki & Niroyoshi Shiraishi & Masahiro Watanabe, 2002. "Investor Sentiment in Japanese and U.S. Daily Mutual Fund Flows," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm24, Yale School of Management.
- Ferson, Wayne E & Schadt, Rudi W, 1996. " Measuring Fund Strategy and Performance in Changing Economic Conditions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(2), pages 425-61, June.
- Massimo Massa & William Goetzmann & K. Rouwenhorst, 2000.
"Behavioral Factors in Mutual Fund Flows,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm8, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Jan 2001.
- Goetzmann, William N & Peles, Nadav, 1997. "Cognitive Dissonance and Mutual Fund Investors," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 20(2), pages 145-58, Summer.
- Martí Ballester, Carmen Pilar, 2013. "Determinants of equity pension plan flows," Economics Discussion Papers 2013-15, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Carmen Pilar Martí Ballester, 2014. "Determinants of equity pension plan flows," Estudios de Economia, University of Chile, Department of Economics, vol. 41(1 Year 20), pages 125-148, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.