“Healthy” Human Development Indices
AbstractIn the Human Development Index (HDI), life expectancy is the only indicator used in modeling the dimension âa long and healthy lifeâ. Whereas life expectancy is a direct measure of quantity of life, it is only an indirect measure of healthy years lived. In this paper we attempt to remedy this omission by introducing into the HDI the morbidity indicator, âexpected lost healthy yearsâ (LHE), used in the World Health Report Though LHE is only weakly correlated with life expectancy and displays considerable variation across countries, the ranking of nations using the adjusted HDI is very similar to that from the HDI. Nevertheless, there are some outlier countries (including large countries like China and the United States) that experience notable changes in rank. Given the considerable variation in the morbidity data across gender, we also adjust the Gender-related Development Index (GDI) in a similar fashion. The ranking using the adjusted GDI is very similar to that from the GDI, but it has a lower rank correlation with the HDI.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Social Indicators Research.
Volume (Year): 99 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/11135
Other versions of this item:
- I00 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - General - - - General
- I1 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health
- O5 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Farhad Noorbakhsh, 1998. "The human development index: some technical issues and alternative indices," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(5), pages 589-605.
- Ravi Kanbur, 2006.
"Poverty, Relative to the Ability to Eradicate It: An Index of Poverty Reduction Failure,"
- Kanbur, Ravi & Mukherjee, Diganta, 2007. "Poverty, relative to the ability to eradicate it: An index of poverty reduction failure," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 52-57, October.
- Kanbur, Ravi & Mukherjee, Diganta, 2007. "Poverty, Relative to the Ability to Eradicate It: An Index of Poverty Reduction Failure," Working Papers 126998, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Anand, Sudhir & Hanson, Kara, 1997. "Disability-adjusted life years: a critical review," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 685-702, December.
- Tsuchiya, Aki & Williams, Alan, 2005. "A "fair innings" between the sexes: are men being treated inequitably?," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 277-286, January.
- Lars Osberg & Andrew Sharpe, 2005. "How Should We Measure The "Economic" Aspects Of Well-Being? ," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 51(2), pages 311-336, 06.
- Arnesen, Trude & Kapiriri, Lydia, 2004. "Can the value choices in DALYs influence global priority-setting?," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 137-149, November.
- Sudhir Anand and Amartya Sen, 1994. "Human development Index: Methodology and Measurement," Human Development Occasional Papers (1992-2007) HDOCPA-1994-02, Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- R. Roberge & J-M. Berthelot & K. Cranswick, 1999. "Adjusting Life Expectancy to Account for Disability in a Population: A Comparison of Three Techniques," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 48(2), pages 219-245, October.
- Bardhan, Kalpana & Klasen, Stephan, 1999.
"UNDP's Gender-Related Indices: A Critical Review,"
Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 985-1010, June.
- Merwan Engineer & Ian King & Nilanjana Roy, 2008.
"The Human Development Index as a Criterion for Optimal Planning,"
Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
1041, The University of Melbourne.
- Merwan Engineer & Ian King & Nilanjana Roy, 2008. "The human development index as a criterion for optimal planning," Indian Growth and Development Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 1(2), pages 172-192, December.
- Achin Chakraborty & Udaya Mishra, 2003. "Making Inter-country Comparison of Life Expectancy Inequality Sensitive," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 64(2), pages 191-208, November.
- Miles Cahill, 2005. "Is the Human Development Index Redundant?," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 31(1), pages 1-5, Winter.
- Anand, Sudhir & Hanson, Kara, 1998. "DALYs: efficiency versus equity," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 307-310, February.
- Krishna Mazumdar, 2003. "A New Approach to Human Development Index," Review of Social Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 61(4), pages 535-549.
- Leandro Prados de la Escosura, 2011.
"Human development in Africa : a long-run perspective,"
Working Papers in Economic History
wp11-09, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Historia Económica e Instituciones.
- Prados de la Escosura, Leandro, 2013. "Human development in Africa: A long-run perspective," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 179-204.
- Leandro Prados de la Escosura, 2011. "Human Development in Africa: A Long-Run Perspective," Working Papers 0008, European Historical Economics Society (EHES).
- Prados de la Escosura, Leandro, 2011. "Human Development in Africa: A Long-run Perspective," CEPR Discussion Papers 8586, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.