Consistency and Monotonicity in Assignment Problems
AbstractThis paper presents axiomatic characterizations of the core of assignment problems. In the main axiomatization theorem we use six axioms including the consistency (CONS) and the weak pairwise-monotonicity (W.P.MON) which are firstly proposed and defined for this setup in the present paper. Since an assignment problem may be converted into a model of a private ownership economy with indivisible goods and the core of the assignment problems coincides with the set of the competitive allocations of the economy, our characterization theorems also give axiomatic characterizations of the set of competitive allocations. Because the consistency is a desirable property of resource allocation mechanisms, our main result gives a new normative implication of competitive equilibria.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal International Journal of Game Theory.
Volume (Year): 24 (1995)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00182/index.htm
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Özen, Ulaş & Erkip, Nesim & Slikker, Marco, 2012. "Stability and monotonicity in newsvendor situations," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 218(2), pages 416-425.
- William Thomson, 2011.
"Consistency and its converse: an introduction,"
Review of Economic Design,
Springer, vol. 15(4), pages 257-291, December.
- Llorca, N. & Tijs, S.H. & Timmer, J.B., 1999. "Semi-Infinite Assignment Problems and Related Games," Discussion Paper 1999-74, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Toda, Manabu, 2005. "Axiomatization of the core of assignment games," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 248-261, November.
- Özkal-Sanver, Ipek, 2010. "Impossibilities for roommate problems," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 360-363, May.
- Sanchez-Soriano, Joaquin, 2003. "The pairwise egalitarian solution," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 150(1), pages 220-231, October.
- Francesc Llerena (Universitat Rovira i Virgili - CREIP) & Marina Nunez (Universitat de Barcelona) & Carles Rafels (Universitat de Barcelona), 2012. "An axiomatization of the nucleolus of the assignment game," Working Papers in Economics 286, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Borm, P.E.M. & Hamers, H.J.M. & Hendrickx, R.L.P., 2001.
"Operations Research Games: A Survey,"
2001-45, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Peter Borm & Herbert Hamers & Ruud Hendrickx, 2001. "Operations research games: A survey," TOP: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 139-199, December.
- Justin Leroux, 2006. "A discussion of the consistency axiom in cost-allocation problems," Cahiers de recherche 06-13, HEC Montréal, Institut d'économie appliquée.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.