Stationarity without degeneracy in a model of commodity money
AbstractWe develop a model of macroeconomic heterogeneity inspired by the Kiyotaki-Wright (1989) formulation of commodity money, with the addition of linear utility and idiosyncratic shocks to savings. We consider two environments. In the benchmark case, the consumer in a meeting is chosen randomly. In the auctions case, the individual holding more money can be selected to be the consumer. We show that in both environments socially optimal trading decisions (that are individually acceptable) are stationary and solve a tractable static op- timization problem. Savings decisions in the benchmark case are re- markably invariant to mean-preserving changes in the distribution of shocks. This result is overturned in the auctions case.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 43 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00199/index.htm
Other versions of this item:
- de O. Cavalcanti, Ricardo & Puzzello, Daniela, 2009. "Stationarity without Degeneracy in a Model of Commodity Money," MPRA Paper 17125, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- C00 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General - - - General
- E00 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Timothy J. Kehoe & Nobuhiro Kiyotaki & Randall Wright, 1991.
"More on money as a medium of exchange,"
140, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Huggett, Mark & Krasa, Stefan, 1996.
"Money and Storage in a Differential Information Economy,"
Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 191-210, August.
- Mark Huggett & Stefan Krasa, 1996. "Money and storage in a differential information economy (*)," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 191-209.
- Ricardo Lagos & Guillaume Rocheteau, 2006.
"Money and capital as competing media of exchange,"
0608, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Kiyotaki, Nobuhiro & Wright, Randall, 1989. "On Money as a Medium of Exchange," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 927-54, August.
- Shouyong Shi, 1996.
"A Divisible Search Model of Fiat Money,"
930, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Aliprantis, C.D. & Camera, Gabriele & Puzzello, D., 2005.
"Anonymous Markets and Monetary Trading,"
Purdue University Economics Working Papers
1179, Purdue University, Department of Economics.
- Charalambos D Aliprantis & Gabriele Camera & Daniela Puzzello, 2007. "Contagion Equilibria in a Monetary Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(1), pages 277-282, 01.
- Julien, BenoI^t & Kennes, John & King, Ian, 2008. "Bidding for money," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 142(1), pages 196-217, September.
- Aiyagari, S Rao & Wallace, Neil, 1992. "Fiat Money in the Kiyotaki-Wright Model," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 2(4), pages 447-64, October.
- Ricardo O. Cavalcanti & Andrés Erosa, 2007. "A theory of capital gains taxation and business turnover," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 477-496, September.
- Ricardo Lagos & Randall Wright, 2002.
"A unified framework for monetary theory and policy analysis,"
0211, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Ricardo Lagos & Randall Wright, 2005. "A Unified Framework for Monetary Theory and Policy Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 113(3), pages 463-484, June.
- Ricardo Lagos & Randall Wright, 2004. "A unified framework for monetary theory and policy analysis," Staff Report 346, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Hector Lomeli & Ted Temzelides, 2002. "Discrete time dynamics in a random matching monetary model," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 259-269.
- Charalambos Aliprantis & Gabriele Camera & Daniela Puzzello, 2006. "Matching and anonymity," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 29(2), pages 415-432, October.
- Galenianos, Manolis & Kircher, Philipp, 2008. "A model of money with multilateral matching," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(6), pages 1054-1066, September.
- Burdett, Kenneth & Judd, Kenneth L, 1983. "Equilibrium Price Dispersion," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(4), pages 955-69, July.
- Konrad Podczeck & Daniela Puzzello, 2012.
"Independent random matching,"
Springer, vol. 50(1), pages 1-29, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.