Numerical solution of dynamic oligopoly games with capital investment
AbstractThis paper discusses how numerical techniques may be used to solve the simultaneous functional equations that arise in general dynamic stochastic games. Unlike the conventional linear-quadratic approach, our methods may be used to address general model specifications that may include non-quadratic objective functions, non-linear equations of motion, and constraints on decision variables. As an illustration, we apply our methods to a dynamic duopoly game in which competing firms play short-run quantity game subject to production cost that can be lowered through investment in capital stock in the long run.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 18 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Note: Received: June 1, 2000; revised version: December 27, 2000
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00199/index.htm
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C63 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computational Techniques
- C73 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Stochastic and Dynamic Games; Evolutionary Games
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Salvador Ortigueira, 2006. "Markov-Perfect Optimal Taxation," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 9(1), pages 153-178, January.
- Thille, Henry, 2006. "Inventories, market structure, and price volatility," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 30(7), pages 1081-1104, July.
- Bask, Mikael & Widerberg, Anna, 2008.
"Market Structure and the Stability and Volatility of Electricity Prices,"
Working Papers in Economics
327, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Bask, Mikael & Widerberg, Anna, 2009. "Market structure and the stability and volatility of electricity prices," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 278-288, March.
- Fabio Lamantia, 2011. "A Nonlinear Duopoly with Efficient Production-Capacity Levels," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 38(3), pages 295-309, October.
- Msangi, Siwa, 2005. "Measuring the Gains to Groundwater Management with Recursive Utility," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19212, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Yepes Rodríguez, R., 2005. "Análisis mediante teoría de juegos de la evolución de la competencia en el sector eléctrico español/Game theoretic analysis of the evolution of competition in Spanish power sector," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 23, pages 335-362, Agosto.
- Brent Neiman, 2010.
"A State-Dependent Model of Intermediate Goods Pricing,"
NBER Working Papers
16283, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brent, Neiman, 2011. "A state-dependent model of intermediate goods pricing," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(1), pages 1-13, September.
- Brent Neiman, 2009. "A State-Dependent Model of Intermediate Goods Pricing," Working Papers 2010-006, Becker Friedman Institute for Research In Economics.
- Salvador Ortigueira, 2004.
"Markovian Optimal Taxation,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2004
10, Society for Computational Economics.
- Jean-Paul Chavas, 2008. "On Storage Behavior Under Imperfect Competition, with Application to the American Cheese Market," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 33(4), pages 325-339, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.