Of markets, products and prices: The effects of the euro on European firms
AbstractIn this Blueprint, Lionel FontagnÃƒÂ©, Thierry Mayer and Gianmarco Ottaviano, show that trade flows have not increased meaningfully since the introduction of the euro. However, trade volume can be a misleading yardstick. Other obstacles Ã‚? be it differences in regulation, legal framework, taxes or language Ã‚? are significant enough to continue to act as binding constraints on internationalisation. In terms of prices, the authors find that the euro has resulted in less volatile and lower prices, especially within the euro area, and this is a clear plus for consumers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Intereconomics.
Volume (Year): 44 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=113472
Other versions of this item:
- Lionel FontagnÃƒÂ© & Thierry Mayer & Gianmarco Ottaviano, . "Of markets, products and prices- the effects of the euro on European firms," Blueprints, Bruegel, number 237, December.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Filippo Cesarano, 2011. "The Political and Economic Dimension of Monetary Unions," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 22(5), pages 985-996, November.
- Andrzej Cieslik, Jan Michalek, Anna Michalek, 2013. "The Impact of the Common Currency on Exports of New EMU Members: Firm-level Evidence for Slovenia and Slovakia," Equilibrium, Uniwersytet Mikolaja Kopernika, vol. 8, pages 7-23.
- Alexandra Hudson & Bas Straathof, 2010. "The Declining Impact of Exchange Rate Volatility on Trade," De Economist, Springer, vol. 158(4), pages 361-372, November.
- Lavinia Rotili, 2014. "The Euro effects on intermediate and final exports," Working Papers 7/14, Sapienza University of Rome, DISS.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.