Minimal realizations of interest rate models
AbstractWe consider interest rate models where the forward rates are allowed to be driven by a multidimensional Wiener process as well as by a marked point process. Assuming a deterministic volatility structure, and using ideas from systems and control theory, we investigate when the input-output map generated by such a model can be realized by a finite dimensional stochastic differential equation. We give necessary and sufficient conditions, in terms of the given volatility structure, for the existence of a finite dimensional realization and we provide a formula for the determination of the dimension of a minimal realization. The abstract state space for a minimal realization is shown to have an immediate economic interpretation in terms of a minimal set of benchmark forward rates, and we give explicit formulas for bond prices in terms of the benchmark rates as well as for the computation of derivative prices.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Finance and Stochastics.
Volume (Year): 3 (1999)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Note: received: July 1997; final version received: December 1998
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/content/101164/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E43 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Interest Rates: Determination, Term Structure, and Effects
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Björk, Tomas & Landen, Camilla, 2000. "On the construction of finite dimensional realizations for nonlinear forward rate models," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 420, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Björk, Tomas & Landén, Camilla & Svensson, Lars, 2002. "Finite dimensional Markovian realizations for stochastic volatility forward rate models," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 498, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 06 May 2002.
- Carl Chiarella & Oh-Kang Kwon, 2001. "State Variables and the Affine Nature of Markovian HJM Term Structure Models," Research Paper Series, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney 52, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Carl Chiarella & Oh-Kang Kwon, 1999.
"Forward Rate Dependent Markovian Transformations of the Heath-Jarrow-Morton Term Structure Model,"
Research Paper Series, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney
5, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Carl Chiarella & Oh Kang Kwon, 2001. "Forward rate dependent Markovian transformations of the Heath-Jarrow-Morton term structure model," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 237-257.
- Björk, Tomas, 2003. "On the Geometry of Interest Rate Models," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 545, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Fred Espen Benth & Paul Kr\"uhner, 2014. "Representation of infinite dimensional forward price models in commodity markets," Papers 1403.4111, arXiv.org.
- Haitao Li & Xiaoxia Ye, 2013. "A Type of HJM Based Affine Model: Theory and Empirical Evidence," Papers 2013-10-14, Working Paper.
- Johannes Leitner, 2000. "Convergence of Arbitrage-free Discrete Time Markovian Market Models," CoFE Discussion Paper, Center of Finance and Econometrics, University of Konstanz 00-07, Center of Finance and Econometrics, University of Konstanz.
- Duffie, Darrell, 2003. "Intertemporal asset pricing theory," Handbook of the Economics of Finance, Elsevier, in: G.M. Constantinides & M. Harris & R. M. Stulz (ed.), Handbook of the Economics of Finance, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 11, pages 639-742 Elsevier.
- Fred Benth & Jukka Lempa, 2014. "Optimal portfolios in commodity futures markets," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 407-430, April.
- Bjork, Tomas, 2009. "Arbitrage Theory in Continuous Time," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, edition 3, number 9780199574742, October.
- Björk, Tomas, 2000. "A Geometric View of Interest Rate Theory," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 419, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 21 Dec 2000.
- Fred Espen Benth & Jukka Lempa, 2012. "Optimal portfolios in commodity futures markets," Papers 1204.2667, arXiv.org.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.