Correspondence between lifetime minimum wealth and utility of consumption
AbstractWe establish when the two problems of minimizing a function of lifetime minimum wealth and of maximizing utility of lifetime consumption result in the same optimal investment strategy on a given open interval $O$ in wealth space. To answer this question, we equate the two investment strategies and show that if the individual consumes at the same rate in both problems -- the consumption rate is a control in the problem of maximizing utility -- then the investment strategies are equal only when the consumption function is linear in wealth on $O$, a rather surprising result. It, then, follows that the corresponding investment strategy is also linear in wealth and the implied utility function exhibits hyperbolic absolute risk aversion.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Finance and Stochastics.
Volume (Year): 11 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/content/101164/
Other versions of this item:
- Erhan Bayraktar & Virginia R. Young, 2007. "Correspondence between Lifetime Minimum Wealth and Utility of Consumption," Papers math/0703820, arXiv.org.
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hipp, Christian & Plum, Michael, 2000. "Optimal investment for insurers," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 215-228, October.
- Browne, S., 1995. "Optimal Investment Policies for a Firm with a Random Risk Process: Exponential Utility and Minimizing the Probability of Ruin," Papers 95-08, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Milevsky, Moshe Arye & Ho, Kwok & Robinson, Chris, 1997. " Asset Allocation via the Conditional First Exit Time or How to Avoid Outliving Your Money," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 53-70, July.
- Bayraktar, Erhan & Hu, Xueying & Young, Virginia R., 2011.
"Minimizing the probability of lifetime ruin under stochastic volatility,"
Insurance: Mathematics and Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 194-206, September.
- Erhan Bayraktar & Xueying Hu & Virginia R. Young, 2010. "Minimizing the Probability of Lifetime Ruin under Stochastic Volatility," Papers 1003.4216, arXiv.org, revised May 2011.
- Nielsen, Peter Holm & Steffensen, Mogens, 2008. "Optimal investment and life insurance strategies under minimum and maximum constraints," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 15-28, August.
- Erhan Bayraktar & Virginia R. Young, 2008. "Minimizing the Probability of Ruin when Consumption is Ratcheted," Papers 0806.2358, arXiv.org.
- Erhan Bayraktar & Yuchong Zhang, 2014. "Minimizing the Probability of Lifetime Ruin Under Ambiguity Aversion," Papers 1402.1809, arXiv.org.
- Erhan Bayraktar, 2007.
"Minimizing the Lifetime Shortfall or Shortfall at Death,"
- Bayraktar, Erhan & Young, Virginia R., 2009. "Minimizing the lifetime shortfall or shortfall at death," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 447-458, June.
- Bayraktar, Erhan & Young, Virginia R., 2008.
"Maximizing utility of consumption subject to a constraint on the probability of lifetime ruin,"
Finance Research Letters, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 204-212, December.
- Erhan Bayraktar & Virginia R. Young, 2012. "Maximizing Utility of Consumption Subject to a Constraint on the Probability of Lifetime Ruin," Papers 1206.6268, arXiv.org.
- Erhan Bayraktar & Virginia R. Young, 2007.
"Mutual Fund Theorems when Minimizing the Probability of Lifetime Ruin,"
0705.0053, arXiv.org, revised Mar 2008.
- Bayraktar, Erhan & Young, Virginia R., 2008. "Mutual fund theorems when minimizing the probability of lifetime ruin," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 69-78, June.
- Petrichev, Konstantin & Thorp, Susan, 2008.
"The private value of public pensions,"
Insurance: Mathematics and Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 1138-1145, June.
- Konstantin Petrichev & Susan Thorp, 2007. "The Private Value of Public Pensions," Research Paper Series, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney 211, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.