New insights on earnings trends across skill groups and industries in West Germany
AbstractThis paper provides an empirical analysis of the structure of earnings in West Germany across skill groups and industries. Our analysis is based on data from the German Socioeconomic Panel for the period 1984 to 1994. We estimate quantile regressions, both for the entire sample period and for each year separately, in order to obtain a finer picture of the earnings structure compared to conventional least squares methods. For robust standard error estimation, this study uses a block bootstrap procedure taking account of heteroskedasticity and autocorrelation in the error term. We also suggest a simple procedure to obtain a consistent estimate of inter-industry earnings variability. Our main findings are: first, pooled estimation comprising a uniform time trend is not rejected by the data, and second, the effects of human capital variables and industry dummies on earnings differ considerably across quantiles. Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2003
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Empirical Economics.
Volume (Year): 28 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Stumpergasse 56, A-1060 Vienna
Phone: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 0
Fax: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 555
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00181/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- JEL - Labor and Demographic Economics - - - - -
- cla - - - - - -
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Genre, Véronique & Kohn, Karsten & Momferatou, Daphne, 2009.
"Understanding inter-industry wage structures in the euro area,"
Working Paper Series
1022, European Central Bank.
- Veronique Genre & Karsten Kohn & Daphne Momferatou, 2011. "Understanding inter-industry wage structures in the euro area," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(11), pages 1299-1313.
- Genre, Véronique & Kohn, Karsten & Momferatou, Daphne, 2009. "Understanding Inter-Industry Wage Structures in the Euro Area," IZA Discussion Papers 4114, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Wiji Arulampalam & Alison Booth & Mark Bryan, 2010.
"Are there asymmetries in the effects of training on the conditional male wage distribution?,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 251-272, January.
- Mark Bryan & Wiji Arulampalam & Alison Booth, 2004. "Are There Asymmetries In The Effects Of Training On The Conditional Male Wage Distribution?," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2004 115, Royal Economic Society.
- Arulampalam, Wiji & Booth, Alison L & Bryan, Mark L, 2004. "Are There Asymmetries in the Effects of Training on the Conditional Male Wage Distribution?," CEPR Discussion Papers 4289, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Arulampalam, Wiji & Booth, Alison L. & Bryan, Mark L., 2004. "Are There Asymmetries in the Effects of Training on the Conditional Male Wage Distribution?," IZA Discussion Papers 984, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Wiji Arulampalam & Alison Booth & Mark L. Bryan, 2006. "Are there Asymmetries in the Effects of Training on the Conditional Male Wage Distribution?," CEPR Discussion Papers 523, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Claudia Tello & Raul Ramos & Manuel Artís, 2012.
"Changes in wage structure in Mexico going beyond the mean: An analysis of differences in distribution, 1987-2008,"
XREAP2012-07, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised May 2012.
- Claudia Tello & Raul Ramos & Manuel Artís, 2013. "“Changes in Wage Structure in Mexico Going Beyond the Mean: An Analysis of Differences in Distribution, 1987-2008”," IREA Working Papers 201224, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Mar 2013.
- Tello, Claudia & Ramos, Raul & Artís, Manuel, 2012. "Changes in Wage Structure in Mexico Going Beyond the Mean: An Analysis of Differences in Distribution, 1987-2008," IZA Discussion Papers 6576, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Claudia Tello & Raul Ramos & Manuel Artís, 2012. "“Changes in Wage Structure in Mexico Going Beyond the Mean: An Analysis of Differences in Distribution, 1987-2008”," AQR Working Papers 201211, University of Barcelona, Regional Quantitative Analysis Group, revised Mar 2013.
- Azam, Mehtabul, 2009.
"Changes in Wage Structure in Urban India 1983-2004: A Quantile Regression Decomposition,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3963, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Azam, Mehtabul, 2012. "Changes in Wage Structure in Urban India, 1983–2004: A Quantile Regression Decomposition," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 1135-1150.
- Mehtabul Azam, 2008. "Changes in Wage Structure in Urban India, 1983-2004: A Quantile Regression Decomposition," Departmental Working Papers 0807, Southern Methodist University, Department of Economics.
- Pamela Giustinelli, 2004. "Quantile Regression Evidence on Italian Education Returns," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 94(6), pages 49-100, November-.
- Fitzenberger, Bernd & Kohn, Karsten, 2005. "Gleicher Lohn für gleiche Arbeit? : zum Zusammenhang zwischen Gewerkschaftsmitgliedschaft und Lohnstruktur in Westdeutschland 1985-1997 (Equal pay for equal work? * on the relationship between union ," Zeitschrift für ArbeitsmarktForschung - Journal for Labour Market Research, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany], vol. 38(2/3), pages 125-146.
- repec:iab:iabzaf:v:38:i:2/3:p:125-146 is not listed on IDEAS
- P. Charnoz & É. Coudin & M. Gaini, 2011. "Wage inequalities in France 1976-2004: a quantile regression analysis," Documents de Travail de la DESE - Working Papers of the DESE g2011-06, Institut National de la Statistique et des Etudes Economiques, DESE.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.