Short-run maquiladora employment dynamics in Tijuana
AbstractThe Tijuana maquiladora sector has grown enormously over the past two decades. Short-term time series characteristics of this segment of the regional economy are analyzed in an attempt to clarify labor market behavior associated with this remarkable performance. Parameter estimation is accomplished using linear transfer function analysis. Data are drawn from the January 1980–December 2000 sample period. Empirical results indicate that real wage rates, maquiladora plants, United States industrial activity, and the real exchange rate of the peso play significant roles in determining month-to-month fluctuations in maquiladora employment. Sub-sample simulation exercises are conducted using a random walk benchmark in order to examine forecast accuracy. Empirical results indicate that the linear transfer function technique provides relatively accurate forecasts all step-lengths. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2004
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal The Annals of Regional Science.
Volume (Year): 38 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00168/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R15 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Econometric and Input-Output Models; Other Methods
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fullerton, Thomas M., Jr. & Barraza de Anda, Martha & Tinajero, Roberto, 2006.
"Analisis Retrospectivo de la Industria Maquiladora de Exportacion en Mexico
[Retrospective Analysis of the Maquiladora Export Industry in Mexico]," MPRA Paper 14666, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Thomas M. Fullerton, Jr. & Juan Carlos Vázquez Morales & Martha Patricia Barraza de Anda, 2011.
"Dinamica de corto plazo del empleo en las maquiladoras de Reynosa, Tamaulipas,"
Ensayos Revista de Economia,
Universidad Autonoma de Nuevo Leon, Facultad de Economia, vol. 0(1), pages 23-40, May.
- Fullerton, Thomas M., Jr. & Vazquez Morales, Juan Carlos & Barraza de Anda, Martha P., 2010.
"Dinámica de corto plazo del empleo en las maquiladoras de Reynosa, Tamaulipas
[Short-run dynamics of payrolls in the maquiladora sector of Reynosa, Tamaulipas (Mexico)]," MPRA Paper 34925, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 15 Feb 2011.
- Fullerton, Thomas M., Jr. & Vazquez Morales, Juan Carlos & Barraza de Anda, Martha P., 2010. "Dinámica de corto plazo del empleo en las maquiladoras de Reynosa, Tamaulipas
- Reyes-Loya, Manuel Lorenzo & Blanco, Lorenzo, 2008. "Measuring the importance of oil-related revenues in total fiscal income for Mexico," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 2552-2568, September.
- Thomas M Fullerton Jr & Martha Patricia Barraza de Anda, 2004. "Maquiladora Prospects in a Global Economy," Development and Comp Systems 0408017, EconWPA.
- Thomas Fullerton & Roberto Tinajero & Jorge Mendoza Cota, 2007. "An Empirical Analysis of Tijuana Water Consumption," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 35(3), pages 357-369, September.
- Thomas M. Fullerton Jr. & George Novela, 2010. "Metropolitan Maquiladora Econometric Forecast Accuracy," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(3), pages 124-140, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.