Take Me Out to the
AbstractThe authors use data that are collected from the 2007 season to study attendance at Nippon Professional Baseball (NPB) games. Like Major League Baseball (MLB) teams, Japanese teams set price in the inelastic portion of the demand curve, but standard explanations for low prices do not apply. The authors also find some evidence that the visiting teamâ€™s fans play a greater role in NPB than in MLB. Games in domed stadiums or between teams in different leagues also draw more fans. Finally, attendance is greater at games between better teams and games that the home team is more likely to win.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by in its journal Journal of Sports Economics.
Volume (Year): 13 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eiji Yamamura & Inyong Shin, 2009. "Convergence, clustering and their effects on attendance in the Japan Professional Baseball League," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 41(25), pages 3257-3265.
- B Buraimo & R Simmons, 2007.
"A tale of two audiences: spectators, television viewers and outcome uncertainty in Spanish football,"
591121, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
- Buraimo, Babatunde & Simmons, Rob, 2009. "A tale of two audiences: Spectators, television viewers and outcome uncertainty in Spanish football," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 61(4), pages 326-338, July.
- Yamamura, Eiji & Shin, Inyong, 2008. "The influence of a leader and social interaction on attendance: The case of the Japanese professional baseball league, 1952-2003," The Journal of Socio-Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 1412-1426, August.
- Dennis Coates & Brad R. Humphreys, 2007. "Ticket Prices, Concessions and Attendance at Professional Sporting Events," International Journal of Sport Finance, Fitness Information Technology, vol. 2(3), pages 161-170, August.
- Jeffery Borland, 2003. "Demand for Sport," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(4), pages 478-502, Winter.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (SAGE Publications).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.