La scomparsa dei centri decisionali dal sistema bancario meridionale
AbstractMore than a decade has now gone by since the crises of Banco di Napoli, Banco di Sicilia, Sicilcassa and the majors southern “Casse di Risparmio” have actually decreed the vanishing of an independent banking system in southern regions, but the economic and political debate on the effects of this process is still lively. In this paper, I introduce the main themes debated during the last ten years by researchers, practitioners and politicians. Specifically, I present the theoretical and practical reasons of those who consider the present structure of the southern banking system unsatisfactory for the economic prospects of the area.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by SIPI Spa in its journal Rivista di Politica Economica.
Volume (Year): 96 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (March-April)
Contact details of provider:
Other versions of this item:
- Alberto ZAZZARO, 2006. "La scomparsa dei centri decisionali dal sistema bancario meriodionale," Working Papers 262, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G34 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Mergers; Acquisitions; Restructuring; Corporate Governance
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Palley, Thomas I., 1997. "Managerial turnover and the theory of short-termism," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 547-557, April.
- Riccardo Lucchetti & Luca Papi & Alberto Zazzaro, 2000.
"Banks' inefficiency and economic growth: a micro-macro approach,"
Heterogeneity and monetary policy
0004, Universita di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Dipartimento di Economia Politica.
- Lucchetti, Riccardo & Papi, Luca & Zazzaro, Alberto, 2001. "Banks' Inefficiency and Economic Growth: A Micro-Macro Approach," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 48(4), pages 400-424, September.
- Riccardo Lucchetti & Luca Papi & Alberto Zazzaro, 2001. "Banks´ Inefficiency and Economic Growth A Micro-Macro Approach," Development Working Papers 153, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Focarelli, Dario & Panetta, Fabio & Salleo, Carmelo, 2002. "Why Do Banks Merge?," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 34(4), pages 1047-66, November.
- Paola Sapienza, 2002. "The Effects of Banking Mergers on Loan Contracts," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(1), pages 329-367, 02.
- Allen N. Berger & Gregory F. Udell, 2001.
"Small business credit availability and relationship lending: the importance of bank organizational structure,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2001-36, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen N. Berger & Gregory F. Udell, 2002. "Small Business Credit Availability and Relationship Lending: The Importance of Bank Organisational Structure," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(477), pages F32-F53, February.
- David S. Scharfstein & Jeremy C. Stein, 2000.
"The Dark Side of Internal Capital Markets: Divisional Rent-Seeking and Inefficient Investment,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 55(6), pages 2537-2564, December.
- David S. Scharfstein & Jeremy C. Stein, 1997. "The Dark Side of Internal Capital Markets: Divisional Rent-Seeking and Inefficient Investment," NBER Working Papers 5969, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Holmstrom, Bengt & Ricart i Costa, Joan, 1986.
"Managerial Incentives and Capital Management,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 101(4), pages 835-60, November.
- Levine, Ross, 2005.
"Finance and Growth: Theory and Evidence,"
Handbook of Economic Growth,
in: Philippe Aghion & Steven Durlauf (ed.), Handbook of Economic Growth, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 12, pages 865-934
- repec:fip:fedhpr:y:2007:i:may:p:205-232 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bonaccorsi di Patti, Emilia & Gobbi, Giorgio, 2001. "The changing structure of local credit markets: Are small businesses special?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(12), pages 2209-2237, December.
- Adriano Giannola & Antonio Lopes & Alberto Zazzaro, 2012.
"La convergenza dello sviluppo finanziario tra le regioni italiane dal 1890 ad oggi,"
Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers
74, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Adriano Giannola & Antonio Lopes & Alberto Zazzaro, 2013. "La convergenza dello sviluppo finanziario tra le regioni italiane dal 1890 ad oggi," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, issue 1, pages 145-197, January-M.
- Ugo FRATESI, 2010. "The National and International Effects;of Regional Policy Choices: Agglomeration Economies, Peripherality and Territorial Characteristics," Working Papers 344, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Luca RICCETTI, 2010. "Minimum Tracking Error Volatility," Working Papers 340, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Petraglia, Carmelo & Amaturo, Francesca & Giordano, Luca, 2009.
"Divari territoriali e limiti nell’accesso al credito per le PMI meridionali: quale ruolo per i Confidi?
[Credit constraints for SMEs in the Italian Mezzogiorno: which role for Mutual Loan-Guarant," MPRA Paper 15210, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fabio FIORILLO & Agnese SACCHI, 2010. "I Want to Free-ride. An Opportunistic View on Decentralization Versus Centralization Problem," Working Papers 346, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabrina Marino).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.