Evolution of Regional and Sub-Regional Disparities in Romania – A Sectoral Shift-Share Analysis
AbstractThe paper aims to assess the evolution of sectoral development disparities (as regards value-added and employment, for the main sectors of the economy) in the regions and counties of Romania. Using classical shift-share analysis tools, we investigate the extent to which the existing interregional and, especially, intra-regional and inter-county inequalities can be attributed to different factors, such as industry mix, and to regional specific factors. The results reveal a diverse milieu and offer useful insights for both general and specifically targeted policies in the area of regional development.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Institute for Economic Forecasting in its journal Romanian Journal for Economic Forecasting.
Volume (Year): (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Casa Academiei, Calea 13, Septembrie nr.13, sector 5, Bucureşti 761172
Phone: 004 021 3188148
Fax: 004 021 3188148
Web page: http://www.ipe.ro/
More information through EDIRC
Romanian regions; regional disparities; shift-share analysis; regional development;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
- R15 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Econometric and Input-Output Models; Other Methods
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Selting, Anne C. & Loveridge, Scott, 1992. "A Summary Of The Literature On Shift-Share Analysis," Staff Papers 14086, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Scutaru, Cornelia & Fomin, Petre & Stanica, Cristian, 2010. "Prospects for the Evolution of the Economic Sectors’ Behavior," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(5), pages 120-142.
- Miguel A. Márquez & Julián Ramajo & Geoffrey J. D. Hewings, 2009. "Incorporating Sectoral Structure into Shift-Share Analysis," Growth and Change, Gatton College of Business and Economics, University of Kentucky, vol. 40(4), pages 594-618.
- Cezar Mereuta & Lucian Liviu Albu & Marioara Iordan & Mihaela Nona Chilian, 2007.
"A Model to Evaluate the Regional Competitiveness of the EU Regions,"
Romanian Economic Journal,
Department of International Business and Economics from the Academy of Economic Studies Bucharest, vol. 10(25), pages 81-101, November.
- Mereuta, Cezar & Albu, Lucian Liviu & Iordan, Marioara & Chilian, Mihaela Nona, 2007. "A Model to Evaluate the Regional Competitiveness of the EU Regions," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 4(3), pages 81-102, September.
- Miron, Dumitru & Dima, Alina Mihaela & Vasilache, Simona, 2009. "Indexes of Regional Economic Growth in Post-Accession Romania," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 6(3), pages 138-152, September.
- Gordon F. Mulligan & Andreas Molin, 2004. "Estimating population change with a two-category shift-share model," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 113-130, 03.
- Yiannis Kamarianakis & Julie Le Gallo, 2003.
"The evolution of regional productivity disparities in the European Union, 1975-2000,"
- Yiannis KAMARIANAKIS (IACM and University of Crete) & Julie Le GALLO (GRES- IFReDE-IERSO), 2003. "The evolution of regional productivity disparities in the European Union, 1975-2000," Cahiers du GRES 2003-15, Groupement de Recherches Economiques et Sociales.
- David Wadley & Phillip Smith, 2003. "Straightening up shift-share analysis," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 259-261, 05.
- Jula, Dorin & Jula, Nicoleta, 2009. "Productivity and the Regional Employment in Services. Econometric Estimations for Romania," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 6(3), pages 129-137, September.
- Sandy Dall’erba & Yiannis Kamarianaki & Julie Le Gallo & Maria Plotnikova, 2003. "Regional Productivity Differentials in Poland, Hungary and the Czech Republic," Urban/Regional 0310004, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Corina Saman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.