Sectoral Structure and Economic Growth
AbstractThe main goal of the present work is to reveal the advantages of introducing the socalled structural coefficient (SC) into economic analysis. SC is defined as an indicator of the similarity between a given sectoral structure and another, which is admitted as a referential. Consequently, the paper is organized as follows. The first chapter is consecrated to computational formulas applicable to the estimation of such a measure. Ten possible algorithms are examined and five are retained as adequate for empirical investigations. The second chapter discusses, by using WB Statistics for the World Economy, two important questions concerning the structural coefficient (SC): “Is SC an authentic “numeraire”? and “Can SC be rather considered as an “attractor”?”. The paper inclines towards the second supposition. In the third chapter, on the famous binomial “sectoral structure-economic growth”, comments based on analytical valences of the structural coefficient (SC) are provided. With this aim, the Toda–Yamamoto version of Granger causality test is applied. Several conclusions and further research lines end the paper. The necessary statistical appendices and references are included.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Institute for Economic Forecasting in its journal Romanian Journal for Economic Forecasting.
Volume (Year): (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Casa Academiei, Calea 13, Septembrie nr.13, sector 5, Bucureşti 761172
Phone: 004 021 3188148
Fax: 004 021 3188148
Web page: http://www.ipe.ro/
More information through EDIRC
structure; structural coefficient; economic growth; Granger causality test;
Other versions of this item:
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- Q10 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - General
- Q41 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Demand and Supply; Prices
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kongsamut, Piyabha & Rebelo, Sergio & Xie, Danyang, 2001.
"Beyond Balanced Growth,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 68(4), pages 869-82, October.
- Kongsamut, Piyabha & Rebelo, Sérgio & Xie, Danyang, 1997. "Beyond Balanced Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 1693, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kongsamut, P. & Rebelo, S. & Xie, D., 1997. "Beyong Balanced Growth," RCER Working Papers 438, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Sergio Rebelo & Piyabha Kongsamut & Danyang Xie, 2001. "Beyond Balanced Growth," IMF Working Papers 01/85, International Monetary Fund.
- Piyabha Kongsamut & Sergio Rebelo & Danyang Xie, 1997. "Beyond Balanced Growth," NBER Working Papers 6159, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baumol, William J & Blackman, Sue Anne Batey & Wolff, Edward N, 1985. "Unbalanced Growth Revisited: Asymptotic Stagnancy and New Evidence," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(4), pages 806-17, September.
- Pugno, Maurizio, 2006.
"The service paradox and endogenous economic growth,"
Structural Change and Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 99-115, January.
- Maurizio Pugno, 2003. "The service paradox and endogenous economic growth," Department of Economics Working Papers 0301, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- Horst Entorf, 2003. "Do Aggregate Measures Of Mismatch Measure Mismatch?A Time Series Analysis Of Existing Concepts," Labor and Demography 0312006, EconWPA.
- Syrquin, M. & Chenery, H.B., 1989. "Patterns Of Development, 1950 To 1983," World Bank - Discussion Papers 41, World Bank.
- Hartwig, Jochen, 2012.
"Testing the growth effects of structural change,"
Structural Change and Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 11-24.
- Daron Acemoglu & Veronica Guerrieri, 2008.
"Capital Deepening and Nonbalanced Economic Growth,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 116(3), pages 467-498, 06.
- Daron Acemoglu & Veronica Guerrieri, 2006. "Capital Deepening and Non-Balanced Economic Growth," 2006 Meeting Papers 207, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Daron Acemoglu & Veronica Guerrieri, 2006. "Capital Deepening and Non-Balanced Economic Growth," NBER Working Papers 12475, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Toda, Hiro Y. & Yamamoto, Taku, 1995. "Statistical inference in vector autoregressions with possibly integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1-2), pages 225-250.
- Ricardo Reis & Mark W. Watson, 2007.
"Measuring changes in the value of the numeraire,"
Kiel Working Papers
1364, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Finger, J M & Kreinin, M E, 1979. "A Measure of 'Export Similarity' and Its Possible Uses," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(356), pages 905-12, December.
- Nicholas Economides & Andrzej Skrzypacz, 2004. "Standards Coalitions Formation and Market Structure in Network Industries," Microeconomics 0407008, EconWPA.
- Echevarria, Cristina, 1997. "Changes in Sectoral Composition Associated with Economic Growth," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 38(2), pages 431-52, May.
- L. Rachel Ngai & Christopher Pissarides, 2004.
"Balanced growth with structural change,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
4658, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Christopher Pissarides & Rachel Ngai, 2004. "Balanced Growth with Structural Change," 2004 Meeting Papers 450, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- L. Rachel Ngai & Christopher A. Pissarides, 2004. "Balanced Growth With Structural Change," CEP Discussion Papers dp0627, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Ester G. Silva & Aurora A. C. Teixeira, 2011.
"Does structure influence growth? A panel data econometric assessment of "relatively less developed" countries, 1979--2003,"
Industrial and Corporate Change,
Oxford University Press, vol. 20(2), pages 457-510, April.
- Ester Gomes da Silva & Aurora A.C. Teixeira, 2009. "Does structure influence growth? A panel data econometric assessment of ‘relatively less developed’ countries, 1979-2003," FEP Working Papers 316, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Fabio Montobbio, 2000.
"An Evolutionary Model of Industrial Growth and Structural Change,"
KITeS Working Papers
121, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Nov 2000.
- Montobbio, Fabio, 2002. "An evolutionary model of industrial growth and structural change," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 387-414, December.
- Laitner, John, 2000. "Structural Change and Economic Growth," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 67(3), pages 545-61, July.
- Foellmi, Reto & Zweimüller, Josef, 2008. "Structural change, Engel's consumption cycles and Kaldor's facts of economic growth," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(7), pages 1317-1328, October.
- Robert Dixon & G. C. Lim & John Freebairn, 2014.
"Regional Beveridge Curves: A Latent Variable Approach,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 48(2), pages 254-269, February.
- Robert Dixon & G.C. Lim & John Freebairn, 2010. "Regional Beveridge Curves: A Latent Variable Approach," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 1103, The University of Melbourne.
- Robert Dixon & G. C. Lim & John Freebairn, 2010. "Regional Beveridge Curves: A Latent Variable Approach," Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series wp2010n15, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Sinha, Dipendra & Sinha, Tapen, 2007. "Toda and Yamamoto Causality Tests Between Per Capita Saving and Per Capita GDP for India," MPRA Paper 2564, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Andreas Dietrich, 2012.
"Does growth cause structural change, or is it the other way around? A dynamic panel data analysis for seven OECD countries,"
Springer, vol. 43(3), pages 915-944, December.
- Andreas Dietrich, 2009. "Does Growth Cause Structural Change, or Is it the Other Way Round? A Dynamic Panel Data Analyses for Seven OECD Countries," Jena Economic Research Papers 2009-034, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Allan G. B. Fisher, 1939. "Production, Primary, Secondary And Tertiary," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 15(1), pages 24-38, 06.
- John J. Wallis & Douglass North, 1986. "Measuring the Transaction Sector in the American Economy, 1870-1970," NBER Chapters, in: Long-Term Factors in American Economic Growth, pages 95-162 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dinu, Marin & Marinas, Marius-Corneliu & Socol, Cristian & Socol, Aura-Gabriela, 2014. "Testing the Endogeneity of Trade and Financial Integration and Sectoral Specialization in an Enlarged Euro Area," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(1), pages 86-104, March.
- Raileanu Szeles, Monica, 2014. "A Multidimensional Approach to the Inclusiveness of economic Growth in the New Member States," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(2), pages 5-24, June.
- Stefanescu, Stefan, 2013. "Discovering the System Structure with Applications in Economic and Social Sciences," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(2), pages 129-140, June.
- Albu, Lucian Liviu, 2013. "Foreign Trade and FDI as Main Factors of Growth in the EU," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(2), pages 7-17, June.
- Jula, Dorin & Jula, Nicolae Marius, 2013. "Economic Growth and Structural Changes in Regional EmploymenT," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(2), pages 52-69, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Corina Saman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.