Planning Optimal From The Firm Value Creation Perspective. Levels Of Operating Cash Investments
AbstractThe basic financial purpose of corporation is creation of its value. Liquidity management should also contribute to realization of this fundamental aim. Many of the current asset management models that are found in financial management literature assume book profit maximization as the basic financial purpose. These book profitbased models could be lacking in what relates to another aim (i.e., maximization of enterprise value). The corporate value creation strategy is executed with a focus on risk and uncertainty. Firms hold cash for a variety of reasons. Generally, cash balances held in a firm can be called considered, precautionary, speculative, transactional and intentional. The first are the result of management anxieties. Managers fear the negative part of the risk and hold cash to hedge against it. Second, cash balances are held to use chances that are created by the positive part of the risk equation. Next, cash balances are the result of the operating needs of the firm. In this article, we analyze the relation between these types of cash balances and risk. This article presents the discussion about relations between firm’s net working investment policy and as result operating cash balances and firm’s value. This article also contains propositions for marking levels of precautionary cash balances and speculative cash balances. Application of these propositions should help managers to make better decisions to maximize the value of a firm.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Institute for Economic Forecasting in its journal Journal for Economic Forecasting.
Volume (Year): (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Casa Academiei, Calea 13, Septembrie nr.13, sector 5, Bucureşti 761172
Phone: 004 021 3188148
Fax: 004 021 3188148
Web page: http://www.ipe.ro/
More information through EDIRC
corporate value; investments; current assets; working capital; value based management; cash managementJournal: Romanian Journal for Economic Forecasting;
Other versions of this item:
- Grzegorz Michalski, 2013. "Planning Optimal From the Firm Value Creation Perspective Levels of Operating Cash Investments," Papers 1301.3824, arXiv.org.
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- P34 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions - - - Finance
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michalski, Grzegorz, 2008.
"Value-Based Inventory Management,"
Journal for Economic Forecasting,
Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 5(1), pages 82-90, March.
- Michalski, Grzegorz, 2007.
"Portofolio Managament Approach in Trade Credit Decision Making,"
Journal for Economic Forecasting,
Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 4(3), pages 42-53, September.
- Grzegorz Michalski, 2013. "Portfolio Management Approach in Trade Credit Decision Making," Papers 1301.3823, arXiv.org.
- Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1992. "Waiting to Invest: Investment and Uncertainty," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 65(1), pages 1-29, January.
- Beck, Stacie & Stockman, David R., 2005. "Money as real options in a cash-in-advance economy," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 87(3), pages 337-345, June.
- Michalski, Grzegorz, 2012.
"Risk sensitivity indicator as correction factor for cost of capital rate,"
43399, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 02 Sep 2012.
- Grzegorz Michalski, 2012. "Risk sensitivity indicator as correction factor for cost of capital rate," EconStor Conference Papers 67534, ZBW - German National Library of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Corina Saman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.