AbstractI study the optimal design of marketable permit systems to regulate various pollutants (e.g., air pollution in urban areas) when the regulator lives in a real world of imperfect information and incomplete enforcement. I show that the regulator should hale pollution markets integrated through optimal exchange rates when the marginal-abatement cost curves in the different markets are steeper than the marginal-benefit curves; otherwise he should keep markets separated. I also find that incomplete enforcement reduces the advantage of market integration. Copyright 2001 by the RAND Corporation.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The RAND Corporation in its journal RAND Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 32 (2001)
Issue (Month): 4 (Winter)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rje.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Woodward, Richard T, 2010.
"Double Dipping in Environmental Markets,"
26185, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ambec, Stefan & Coria, Jessica, 2013.
"Prices vs quantities with multiple pollutants,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 123-140.
- Ambec, Stefan & Coria, Jessica, 2011. "Prices vs Quantities with Multiple Pollutants," LERNA Working Papers 11.17.351, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- Ambec, Stefan & Coria, Jessica, 2011. "Prices vs Quantities with Multiple Pollutants," Working Papers in Economics 517, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Motta, Alberto & Burlando, Alfredo, 2007.
"Self reporting reduces corruption in law enforcement,"
5332, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 23 Jun 2007.
- Alfredo Burlando & Alberto Motta, 2007. "Self Reporting reduces corruption in law enforcement," "Marco Fanno" Working Papers 0063, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- Krysiak, Frank C. & Schweitzer, Patrick, 2010. "The optimal size of a permit market," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 133-143, September.
- Roberton Williams, 2002. "Prices vs. Quantities vs. Tradable Quantities," NBER Working Papers 9283, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carlos Hervés-Beloso & Francisco Martínez & Jorge Rivera, 2012. "Walrasian prices in markets with tradable rights," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 49(2), pages 497-512, February.
- Jorge Rivera C. & Francisco Martínez, 2005. "Consumption rigths: a market mechanism to redistribute wealth," Working Papers wp215, University of Chile, Department of Economics.
- Heberling, Matthew T. & García, Jorge H. & Thurston, Hale W., 2010. "Does encouraging the use of wetlands in water quality trading programs make economic sense?," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(10), pages 1988-1994, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.