L’effort consacré à la recherche et au développement : un facteur explicatif de la structure et de l’évolution des exportations de pays industrialisés
AbstractThe aim of this study is to throw some new light on the empirical testing of the technological gap theory. The author studies the structure and growth of the exports of nine industrial countries in sixteen manufactured commodity groups during the 1963-1969 period. While it has been customary in the literature to link a country's export shares to the industries' R and D intensity, a distinction is made in this study between the R and D intensity and effort and it is concluded that a country's export structure and growth should be expressed as a function of its R and D relative effort in the different industries. Some empirical evidence of this new relationship is then given in static and dynamic settings.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Société Canadienne de Science Economique in its journal L'Actualité économique.
Volume (Year): 54 (1978)
Issue (Month): 1 (janvier-mars)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter B. Kenen, 1970. "Skills, Human Capital, and Comparative Advantage," NBER Chapters, in: Education, Income, and Human Capital, pages 193-240 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kreinin, Mordechai E, 1972. "Effects of the EEC on Imports of Manufactures," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 82(327), pages 897-920, September.
- Irving B. Kravis, 1956. ""Availability" and Other Influences on the Commodity Composition of Trade," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 64, pages 143.
- Junz, Helen B & Rhomberg, Rudolf R, 1973. "Price Competitiveness in Export Trade Among Industrial Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 63(2), pages 412-18, May.
- William H. Gruber & Raymond Vernon, 1970. "The Technology Factor in a World Trade Matrix," NBER Chapters, in: The Technology Factor in International Trade, pages 233-302 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Helen B. Junz & Rudolf R. Rhomberg, 1973. "Price competitiveness in export trade among industrial countries," International Finance Discussion Papers 22, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruce Shearer).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.