L’effort consacré à la recherche et au développement : un facteur explicatif de la structure et de l’évolution des exportations de pays industrialisés
AbstractThe aim of this study is to throw some new light on the empirical testing of the technological gap theory. The author studies the structure and growth of the exports of nine industrial countries in sixteen manufactured commodity groups during the 1963-1969 period. While it has been customary in the literature to link a country's export shares to the industries' R and D intensity, a distinction is made in this study between the R and D intensity and effort and it is concluded that a country's export structure and growth should be expressed as a function of its R and D relative effort in the different industries. Some empirical evidence of this new relationship is then given in static and dynamic settings.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Société Canadienne de Science Economique in its journal L'Actualité économique.
Volume (Year): 54 (1978)
Issue (Month): 1 (janvier-mars)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- William H. Gruber & Raymond Vernon, 1970. "The Technology Factor in a World Trade Matrix," NBER Chapters, in: The Technology Factor in International Trade, pages 233-302 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Helen B. Junz & Rudolf R. Rhomberg, 1973. "Price competitiveness in export trade among industrial countries," International Finance Discussion Papers 22, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Peter B. Kenen, 1970. "Skills, Human Capital, and Comparative Advantage," NBER Chapters, in: Education, Income, and Human Capital, pages 193-240 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Junz, Helen B & Rhomberg, Rudolf R, 1973. "Price Competitiveness in Export Trade Among Industrial Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 63(2), pages 412-18, May.
- Irving B. Kravis, 1956. ""Availability" and Other Influences on the Commodity Composition of Trade," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 64, pages 143.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruce Shearer).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.