The National Deposit Insurance System - A Market Institution at the Crossroads
AbstractThe safety net provided by deposit insurance systems gain heavily in weight at times of crisis. The correct set of such a cushion is critical to its effectiveness. While it helps to prevent bank runs, the severe market distortions are of great concern. The short term benefit of public confidence can be, far and away, offset by its long run negative effects consisting mainly in increased moral hazard, heavy public costs and impaired competition.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Academia de Studii Economice din Bucuresti, Romania / Facultatea de Finante, Asigurari, Banci si Burse de Valori / Catedra de Finante in its journal The Review of Finance and Banking.
Volume (Year): 01 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Strada Mihai Eminescu nr.13-15, sector 1, Bucuresti, Romania
Web page: http://www.fin.ase.ro/
More information through EDIRC
Insurance systems; market distortions; effects; costs; competi;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Asli Demirgüç-Kunt & Luis Servén, 2010. "Are All the Sacred Cows Dead? Implications of the Financial Crisis for Macro- and Financial Policies," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 25(1), pages 91-124, February.
- Demirgüç-Kunt, Asli & Kane, Edward J. & Laeven, Luc, 2008.
"Determinants of deposit-insurance adoption and design,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 407-438, July.
- Asli Demirguc-Kunt & Edward J. Kane & Luc Laeven, 2007. "Determinants of Deposit-Insurance Adoption and Design," NBER Working Papers 12862, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Kane, Edward J. & Laeven, Luc, 2006. "Determinants of deposit-insurance adoption and design," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3849, The World Bank.
- Peresetsky , Anatoly, 2008. "Market Discipline and Deposit Insurance in Russia," BOFIT Discussion Papers 14/2008, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tatu Lucian).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.