Dynamic efficiency and intergenerational altruism
AbstractCan dynamic inefficiency that may occur in societies populated by non altruistic agents be removed by introducing intergenerational altruism ? Although the answer (see Abel, 1987, AER or Weil, 1987, JME) seems to be negative, this paper shows, by means of a simple example, that the presence of an arbitrarily low proportion of altruists can be sufficient to prevent a society from reaching a non Pareto optimal equilibrium. Intergenerational transfers from the old to the young can therefore provide an alternative ---to public debt, fiat money or money bubbles which transfer goods from the young to the old--- solution to the dynamic efficiency problem. (Copyright: Elsevier)
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics in its journal Review of Economic Dynamics.
Volume (Year): 11 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Review of Economic Dynamics Academic Press Editorial Office 525 "B" Street, Suite 1900 San Diego, CA 92101
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/review.htm
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C62 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Existence and Stability Conditions of Equilibrium
- D91 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice - - - Intertemporal Household Choice; Life Cycle Models and Saving
- O41 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - One, Two, and Multisector Growth Models
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guido Cazzavillan & Patrick A. Pintus, 2004. "Robustness of Multiple Equilibria in OLG Economies," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 7(2), pages 456-475, April.
- Cuong Le Van & Lisa Morhaim, 2006.
"On optimal growth models when the discount factor is near 1 or equal to 1,"
UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Cuong Le Van & Lisa Morhaim, 2006. "On optimal growth models when the discount factor is near 1 or equal to 1," International Journal of Economic Theory, The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 2(1), pages 55-76.
- Nourry, C. & Vendetti, A., 1998.
"Determinacy of Equilibrium in an Overlapping Generations Model with Heterogenous Agents,"
98a02, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Nourry, Carine & Venditti, Alain, 2001. "Determinacy of Equilibrium in an Overlapping Generations Model with Heterogeneous Agents," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 96(1-2), pages 230-255, January.
- Michele Boldrin & Aldo Rustichini, 2000. "Political Equilibria with Social Security," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 3(1), pages 41-78, January.
- Thibault, E., 1999.
"Bequests and the Intergenerational Degree of Altruism,"
99a43, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Emmanuel THIBAULT, 2001. "Bequests and the Intergenerational Degree of Altruism," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 2001022, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Emmanuel Thibault, 2000. "Existence of equilibrium in an OLG model with production and altruistic preferences," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 709-715.
- Barro, Robert J., 1974.
"Are Government Bonds Net Wealth?,"
3451399, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Luisa Fuster, 2000. "Capital Accumulation in an Economy with Dynasties and Uncertain Lifetimes," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 3(4), pages 650-674, October.
- Tirole, Jean, 1985. "Asset Bubbles and Overlapping Generations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1499-1528, November.
- MICHEL, Philippe & PESTIEAU , Pierre, 1994.
"Fiscal Policy in a Growth Model with Both Altruistic and Non Altruistic Agents,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1994049, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- MICHEL, Ph. & PESTIEAU, P., . "Fiscal policy in a growth model with both altruistic and nonaltruistic agents," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1301, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Rapoport, Hillel & Vidal, Jean-Pierre, 2007.
"Economic growth and endogenous intergenerational altruism,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 91(7-8), pages 1231-1246, August.
- Hillel Rapoport & Jean-Pierre Vidal, 2003. "Economic Growth and Endogenous Intergenerational Altruism," Working Papers 2003-04, Department of Economics, Bar-Ilan University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.