Altruism, Intergenerational Transfers of Time and Bequests
AbstractThis paper uses a standard two-period overlapping generation model to examine the behavior of an economy where both intergenerational transfers of time and bequests are available. While bequests have been examined extensively, time transfers have received little or no attention in the literature. Assuming a log-linear utility function and a Cobb-Douglas production function, we derive an explicit solution for the dynamics and show that altruistic intergenerational time transfers can take place in presence of a binding non-negativity constraint on bequests. We also show that with either type of transfers capital is an increasing function of the intergenerational degree of altruism. However, while with time transfers the labor supply of the young increases with the degree of altruism, with bequests it may decrease
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques in its series Cahiers de recherche with number 2003-04.
Length: 29 pages
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: CP 6128, Succ. Centre-Ville, Montréal, Québec, H3C 3J7
Phone: (514) 343-6540
Fax: (514) 343-5831
Web page: http://www.sceco.umontreal.ca
More information through EDIRC
Altruism; time transfers; bequests;
Other versions of this item:
- Cardia, Emanuela & Michel, Philippe, 2004. "Altruism, intergenerational transfers of time and bequests," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(8), pages 1681-1701, June.
- CARDIA, Emanuela & MICHEL, Philippe, 2003. "Altruism, Intergenerational Transfers of Time and Bequests," Cahiers de recherche 02-2003, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- J1 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics
- J2 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor
- D9 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice and Growth
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-08-31 (All new papers)
- NEP-DGE-2003-08-31 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
- NEP-LTV-2003-08-31 (Unemployment, Inequality & Poverty)
- NEP-MIC-2003-08-31 (Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew B. Abel, .
"Operative Gift and Bequest Motives,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
9-87, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Andrew B. Abel, 1988. "Operative Gift and Bequest Motives," NBER Working Papers 2331, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew B. Abel, . "Operative Gift and Bequest Motives," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 09-87, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- IOANNIDES , Yannis & KAN , Kamhon, 1994.
"The Nature of Two-Direction Intergenerational Transfers of Money and Time : An Empirical Analysis,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1994033, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Yannis M. Ioannides & Kambon Kan, 1999. "The Nature of Two-Directional Intergenerational Transfers of Money and Time: An Empirical Analysis," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 9917, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Jouvet, Pierre-Andre & Michel, Philippe & Vidal, Jean-Pierre, 2000.
" Intergenerational Altruism and the Environment,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 102(1), pages 135-50, March.
- JOUVET, Pierre-André & MICHEL, Philippe & VIDAL, Jean-Pierre, 1997. "Intergenerational altruism and the environment," CORE Discussion Papers 1997041, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jouvet, P.-A. & Michel, P. & Vidal, J.-P., 1999. "Intergenerational Altruism and the Environment," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 99a03, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Barro, Robert J., 1974.
"Are Government Bonds Net Wealth?,"
3451399, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Emanuela Cardia & Serena Ng, 2003. "Intergenerational Time Transfers and Childcare," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 6(2), pages 431-454, April.
- MICHEL, Philippe & PESTIEAU , Pierre, 1994. "Fiscal Policy in a Growth Model with Both Altruistic and Non Altruistic Agents," CORE Discussion Papers 1994049, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Weil, Philippe, 1987. "Love thy children : Reflections on the Barro debt neutrality theorem," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 377-391, May.
- de la Croix, David & Michel, Philippe, 1997.
"Altruism and self-refrain,"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
1998010, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES), revised 00 Apr 1998.
- Burbidge, John B, 1983. "Government Debt in an Overlapping-Generations Model with Bequests and Gifts," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(1), pages 222-27, March.
- Michel, Philippe, 1990. "Some Clarifications on the Transversality Condition," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(3), pages 705-23, May.
- Abdelkrim Seghir & Juan Torres-Martínez, 2008.
"Wealth transfers and the role of collateral when lifetimes are uncertain,"
Springer, vol. 36(3), pages 471-502, September.
- Abdelkrim Seghir & Juan Pablo Torres-Martinez, 2006. "Wealth transfers and the role of collateral when lifetimes are uncertain," Textos para discussÃ£o 527, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Mizushima, Atsue, 2009.
"Intergenerational transfers of time and public long-term care with an aging population,"
Journal of Macroeconomics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 572-581, December.
- Atsue Mizushima, 2007. "Intergenerational Transfers of Time and Public Long-term Care with an Aging Population," Discussion Papers in Economics and Business 07-04, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP).
- Atsue Mizushima, 2008. "Intergenerational Transfers of Time and Public Long-term Care with an Aging Population," Economics Working Papers ECO2008/36, European University Institute.
- Elisabeth Hermann Frederiksen, 2006. "Spending Natural Resource Revenues in an Altruistic Growth Model," EPRU Working Paper Series 06-09, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Rydell, Ingrid, 2005. "Equity, Justice, Interdependence: Intergenerational Transfers and the Ageing Population," Arbetsrapport 2005:5, Institute for Futures Studies.
- Palmisani, Cesare, 2008. "Una rassegna su alcuni modelli di crescita economica tipo Solow con dinamica caotica," MPRA Paper 9506, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sharon BREWER).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.