Hungarian-Western Partnerships: A Grounded Theoretical Model of Integration Processes and Outcomes
AbstractInternational cooperative ventures (ICVs) are known to be strongly influenced by the parent firms' values, practices, and systems (VPSs). However, less clear is whether and why VPSs actually adopted by an ICV are those of either parent singly, both parents jointly, or neither parent. This question is especially timely in the transition economies of Central and Eastern Europe, where cooperative activity with Western multinationals is growing rapidly, and where decades-old legacies of communism abound. In this exploratory study, we used a multiple case study methodology to examine 17 Hungarian-Western ICVs. Results show that a majority of the ICVs adopted the VPSs of the Western partner. We develop a theoretical model of integration process and outcomes, and suggest future research directions.© 2002 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (2002) 33, 423–455
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 33 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gomes, Emanuel & Cohen, Marcel & Mellahi, Kamel, 2011. "When two African cultures collide: A study of interactions between managers in a strategic alliance between two African organizations," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 5-12, January.
- Mockaitis, Audra I. & Vaiginiene, Erika & Giedraitis, Vincent, 2006.
"The internationalization efforts of lithuanian manufacturing firms--strategy or luck?,"
Research in International Business and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 111-126, March.
- Audra I.Mockaitis & Erika Vaiginene & Vincent Giedraitis, 2005. "The Internationalization Efforts Of Lithuanian Manufacturing Firms - Strategy Or Luck?," Industrial Organization 0501007, EconWPA.
- Audra I.Mockaitis & Erika Vaiginiene & Vincent Giedraitis, 2005. "The Internationalization Efforts of Lithuanian Manufacturing Firms - Strategy of Luck?," Industrial Organization 0502001, EconWPA.
- Graf, Michael & Mudambi, Susan M., 2005. "The outsourcing of IT-enabled business processes: A conceptual model of the location decision," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 253-268, June.
- Danis, Wade M., 2003. "Differences in values, practices, and systems among Hungarian managers and Western expatriates: an organizing framework and typology," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 224-244, August.
- Chong Choi & Sae Kim & Jai Kim, 2010. "Globalizing Business Ethics Research and the Ethical Need to Include the Bottom-of-the-Pyramid Countries: Redefining the Global Triad as Business Systems and Institutions," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 94(2), pages 299-306, June.
- Arnold Schuh, 2010. "How research on marketing in Central and Eastern Europe can advance international marketing theory," Tržište/Market, Faculty of Economics and Business, University of Zagreb, vol. 22(2), pages 255-268.
- Evangelista, Felicitas & Hau, Le Nguyen, 2009. "Organizational context and knowledge acquisition in IJVs: An empirical study," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 63-73, January.
- Dieleman, Marleen & Sachs, Wladimir M., 2008. "Economies of connectedness: Concept and application," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 270-285, September.
- Froese, Fabian Jintae & Pak, Yong Suhk & Chong, Li Choy, 2008. "Managing the human side of cross-border acquisitions in South Korea," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 97-108, January.
- Fariborz Damanpour & Carlos Devece & Chao Chen & Vijay Pothukuchi, 2012. "Organizational culture and partner interaction in the management of international joint ventures in India," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 29(2), pages 453-478, June.
- Clark, Ed & Geppert, Mike, 2006. "Socio-political processes in international management in post-socialist contexts: Knowledge, learning and transnational institution building," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 340-357, September.
- Parkhe, Arvind, 2003. "Institutional environments, institutional change and international alliances," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 305-316.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.