International Exchange: A Foundation for Theory Building in International Business
AbstractThere does not appear to be consensus concerning what is the conceptual domain of international business. This paper argues that this is due in part to an emphasis on the firm as the unit of analysis. It is further argued that a comprehensive, generative and theoretically integrative definition of international business could be established if exchange were made the unit of analysis. By using the political economy paradigm and the various concepts of exchange adopted by the social sciences, nine characteristics are identified and developed which uniquely define the conceptual domain in international business.© 1989 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (1989) 20, 1–17
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 20 (1989)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Eberhard, Manuel & Craig, Justin, 2013. "The evolving role of organisational and personal networks in international market venturing," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 385-397.
- Chandra, Ramdas & Newburry, William, 1997. "A cognitive map of the international business field," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 387-410, August.
- Chetty, S. & Eriksson, K., 2002. "Mutual commitment and experiential knowledge in mature international business relationship," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 305-324, June.
- Bianchi, Constanza C. & Saleh, Md. Abu, 2011. "Antecedents of importer relationship performance in Latin America," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(3), pages 258-265, March.
- Buckley, Peter J. & Chapman, Malcolm, 1996. "Theory and method in international business research," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 233-245, June.
- Acedo, Francisco José & Casillas, José Carlos, 2005. "Current paradigms in the international management field: An author co-citation analysis," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 619-639, October.
- Zhou, Lianxi, 2007. "The effects of entrepreneurial proclivity and foreign market knowledge on early internationalization," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 281-293, September.
- Blomstermo, Anders & Eriksson, Kent & Lindstrand, Angelika & Sharma, D. Deo, 2004. "The perceived usefulness of network experiential knowledge in the internationalizing firm," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 355-373.
- Chong Choi & Sae Kim & Shui Yu, 2009. "Global Ethics of Collective Internet Governance: Intrinsic Motivation and Open Source Software," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 90(4), pages 523-531, December.
- Sheth, Jagdish N., 2001. "From international to integrated marketing," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 5-9, January.
- Pitt, Leyland & Berthon, Pierre & Robson, Matthew, 1997. "The internationalization of management knowledge dissemination: A dialectic," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 369-385, January.
- Jonsson, Sara & Lindbergh, Jessica, 2010. "The impact of institutional impediments and information and knowledge exchange on SMEs' investments in international business relationships," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 548-561, December.
- Seno-Alday, Sandra, 2010. "International business thought: A 50-year footprint," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 16-31, March.
- Blankenburg Holm, Desirée & Eriksson, Kent, 2000. "The character of bridgehead relationships," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 191-210, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.