Antecedents of importer relationship performance in Latin America
AbstractEmerging market importers are increasingly engaging in relationships with foreign suppliers. Nevertheless, characteristics of the institutional and cultural environments of countries may affect relationship behavior. Furthermore, research on relationship marketing primarily focuses on the marketing activities of exporters from developed countries and much less attention is paid to the import side of the exchange process. Thus, the objective of this study is to empirically examine importer relationship performance in a Latin American context. This article proposes and tests a conceptual model that includes the antecedents and outcomes of trust and commitment with a survey of Chilean importers. The model uses confirmatory factor analysis (CFA) to develop the construct measures and structural equation modeling (SEM) to test the model. The findings of this study contribute to a better understanding of the driving forces of trust and commitment and their influence on importing firms' performance in an emerging market context.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Business Research.
Volume (Year): 64 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbusres
Importer Relationship marketing Chile Trust Commitment Latin America;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mavondo, Felix T. & Rodrigo, Elaine M., 2001. "The effect of relationship dimensions on interpersonal and interorganizational commitment in organizations conducting business between Australia and China," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 111-121, May.
- Samiee, Saeed & Walters, Peter G. P., 2003. "Relationship marketing in an international context: a literature review," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 193-214, April.
- Lohtia, Ritu & Bello, Daniel C. & Yamada, Teruhisa & Gilliland, David I., 2005. "The role of commitment in foreign-Japanese relationships: mediating performance for foreign sellers in Japan," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(8), pages 1009-1018, August.
- Kim, Keysuk, 2001. "On the effects of customer conditions on distributor commitment and supplier commitment in industrial channels of distribution," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 87-99, February.
- Cullen, John B. & Johnson, Jean L. & Sakano, Tomoaki, 2000. "Success through commitment and trust: the soft side of strategic alliance management," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 223-240.
- Neng Liang & Arvind Parkhe, 1997. "Importer Behavior: the neglected Counterpart of International Exchange," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 28(3), pages 495-530, September.
- Sim, A.B & Ali, Yunus, 1998. "Performance of international joint ventures from developing and developed countries: An empirical study in a developing country context," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 357-377, January.
- Bstieler, Ludwig & Hemmert, Martin, 2008. "Developing trust in vertical product development partnerships: A comparison of South Korea and Austria," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 35-46, January.
- Daphne Yiu & Yuan Lu, 2005. "Understanding Business Group Performance in an Emerging Economy: Acquiring Resources and Capabilities in Order to Prosper," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(1), pages 183-206, 01.
- Chris Styles & Paul G Patterson & Farid Ahmed, 2008. "A relational model of export performance," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 39(5), pages 880-900, July.
- Brian Toyne, 1989. "International Exchange: A Foundation for Theory Building in International Business," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 20(1), pages 1-17, March.
- Lye, Ashley & Hamilton, R. T., 2001. "Importer perspectives on international exchange relationships," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 109-128, February.
- Luo, Yadong, 2002. "Partnering with foreign businesses: perspectives from Chinese firms," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(6), pages 481-493, June.
- Srilata Zaheer & Akbar Zaheer, 2006. "Trust across borders," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(1), pages 21-29, January.
- Geyskens, I. & Steenkamp, J.E.B.M. & Scheer, L.K. & Kumar, N., 1996. "The effects of trust and interdependence on relationship commitment: A trans-Atlantic study," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-117462, Tilburg University.
- Constantine S Katsikeas & Dionysis Skarmeas & Daniel C Bello, 2009. "Developing successful trust-based international exchange relationships," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 40(1), pages 132-155, January.
- Niesten, Eva & Jolink, Albert, 2012. "Incentives, opportunism and behavioral uncertainty in electricity industries," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(7), pages 1031-1039.
- Brenes, Esteban R. & Metzger, Michael & Requena, Bernardo, 2011. "Strategic management in Latin America: Issues and assessment," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(3), pages 231-235, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.