Cultural Influences on International Capital Structure
AbstractMany studies have been conducted on the impact of various factors on international capital structure. The literature still reveals disagreement on the significance of the industry and country effects in determining capital structure, and the basis of country differences. This paper presents the results of a study of the debt structure of 677 firms in 9 industries headquartered in 23 countries. The results of this study tend to agree with the hypothesis that cultural differences are correlated with the significant country and minimal industry influences which are found. Further, there appear to be some intercountry influences caused by underlying cultural patterns among groups of countries.© 1988 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (1988) 19, 87–100
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 19 (1988)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kayo, Eduardo K. & Kimura, Herbert, 2011. "Hierarchical determinants of capital structure," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 358-371, February.
- Katz, Jeffrey P. & Werner, Steve & Brouthers, Lance, 1999. "Does Winning Mean the Same Thing around the World? National Ideology and the Performance of Global Competitors," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 117-126, February.
- Cravens, Karen S. & Oliver, Elizabeth Goad, 2000. "The Influence of Culture on Pension Plans," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 521-537, 010.
- Shao, Lawrence Peter, 1997. "Capital structure norms among foreign subsidiaries of U.S. multinational enterprises," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 145-157.
- Brian Lucey & Colm KEarney & Ciaran MacAnBhaird, . "Culture and capital structure in small and medium sized firms," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp419, IIIS.
- Aggarwal, Raj & Kyaw, NyoNyo A., 2008. "Internal capital networks as a source of MNC competitive advantage: Evidence from foreign subsidiary capital structure decisions," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 409-439, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.