The Dynamic Macroeconomic Effects of Tax Policy in an Overlapping Generations Model
AbstractThe paper studies the dynamic allocation effects of tax policy within the context of an overlapping-generations model of the Blanchard-Yaari type. The model is extended to allow for endogenous labour supply and three tax instruments, viz. a capital tax, labour income tax, and consumption tax. Both analytical expressions and simple diagrams are used to analyze the impact, transition, and long-run effects of tax policy changes. It is shown that a part of the long-run incidence of capital and consumption taxes falls on capital when households' horizons are finite whereas labour would fully bear the burden of these taxes in an infinite-horizon model. Copyright 2000 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 52 (2000)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://oep.oupjournals.org/
Other versions of this item:
- Ben J. Heijdra & Johanna Elisabeth Ligthart, 1998. "The Dynamic Macroeconomic Effects of Tax Policy in an Overlapping Generations Model," IMF Working Papers 98/182, International Monetary Fund.
- Ligthart, J.E. & Heijdra, B.J., 2000. "The dynamic macroeconomic effects of tax policy in an overlapping generations model," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-141315, Tilburg University.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Heijdra, Ben J. & Ligthart, Jenny E., 2006.
"The Macroeconomic Dynamics Of Demographic Shocks,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(03), pages 349-370, June.
- Heijdra, Ben J. & Ligthart, Jenny E., 2004. "The macroeconomic dynamics of demographic shocks," CCSO Working Papers 200403, University of Groningen, CCSO Centre for Economic Research.
- Heijdra, B.J. & Ligthart, J.E., 2004. "The Macroeconomic Dynamics of Demographic Shocks," Discussion Paper 2004-90, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Simone Valente, 2005.
"Tax policy and human capital formation with public investment in education,"
CER-ETH Economics working paper series
05/41, CER-ETH - Center of Economic Research (CER-ETH) at ETH Zurich.
- Simone Valente, 2005. "Tax Policy and Human Capital Formation with Public Investment in Education," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 86(3), pages 229-258, December.
- Simone Valente, 2005. "Tax Policy and Human Capital Formation with Public Investment in Education," Macroeconomics 0507002, EconWPA.
- Heijdra, B.J. & Kooiman, J.P. & Ligthart, J.E., 2004.
"Environmental Quality, the Macroeconomy and Intergenerational Distribution,"
2004-73, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Heijdra, Ben J. & Kooiman, Jan Peter & Ligthart, Jenny E., 2006. "Environmental quality, the macroeconomy, and intergenerational distribution," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 74-104, January.
- Xavier Pautrel, 2008.
"Environmental Policy, Education and Growth: A Reappraisal when Lifetime Is Finite,"
2008.57, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Pautrel, Xavier, 2012. "Environmental Policy, Education And Growth: A Reappraisal When Lifetime Is Finite," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(05), pages 661-685, November.
- Xavier Pautrel, 2009. "Environmental policy, education and growth: A reappraisal when lifetime is finite," Working Papers hal-00423201, HAL.
- Ascari, Guido & Rankin, Neil, 2007.
"Perpetual youth and endogenous labor supply: A problem and a possible solution,"
Journal of Macroeconomics,
Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 708-723, December.
- Ascari, Guido & Rankin, Neil, 2004. "Perpetual youth and endogenous labour supply: a problem and a possible solution," Working Paper Series 0346, European Central Bank.
- Pautrel, Xavier, 2009. "Pollution and life expectancy: How environmental policy can promote growth," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(4), pages 1040-1051, February.
- Giovanni Ganelli, 2002.
"Fiscal Policy Rules in an Overlapping Generations Model with Endogenous Labour Supply,"
Trinity Economics Papers
200215, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Ganelli, Giovanni, 2007. "Fiscal policy rules in an overlapping generations model with endogenous labour supply," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 1015-1036, March.
- Mathieu-Bolh, Nathalie, 2010. "Welfare improving distributionally neutral tax reforms," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 1253-1268, September.
- Horacio L. P. Piffano, 2002. "Batería de indicadores para el seguimiento del proceso de saneamiento fiscal territorial en Colombia," IDB Publications 4198, Inter-American Development Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.