Regulatory Regimes and Efficiency in US Local Telephony
AbstractThe paper assesses the efficiency consequences of different regulatory regimes for US local telephony. Specifically, alternative regulatory regimens (price-cap regulation and incentive regulation) are contrasted with traditional rate-of-return regulation (ROR). Relative efficiency scores are obtained from the Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) approach. The regression analysis on the determinants of efficiency, after controlling for technical change effects, indicates that alternative forms of regulation appear to induce a higher level of efficiency for the regulated firms than ROR. Copyright 2000 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 52 (2000)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://oep.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Resende, Marcelo, 2002. "Relative efficiency measurement and prospects for yardstick competition in Brazilian electricity distribution," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(8), pages 637-647, June.
- Resende, Marcelo, 2008.
"Efficiency measurement and regulation in US telecommunications: A robustness analysis,"
International Journal of Production Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 114(1), pages 205-218, July.
- Marcelo Resende, 2006. "Efficiency Measurement and Regulation in U.S. Telecommunications: A Robustness Analysis," Economics Working Papers ECO2006/15, European University Institute.
- Tupper, Henrique Cesar & Resende, Marcelo, 2004. "Efficiency and regulatory issues in the Brazilian water and sewage sector: an empirical study," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 29-40, March.
- Seo, Daigyo & Shin, Jonghyup, 2011. "The impact of incentive regulation on productivity in the US telecommunications industry: A stochastic frontier approach," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 3-11, March.
- World Bank, 2007. "How to Revitalize Infrastructure Investments in Brazil : Public Policies for Better Private Participation, Volume 2. Background Report," World Bank Other Operational Studies 8045, The World Bank.
- Ronaldo Seroa da Motta & Ajax R.B. Moreira, 2004. "Efficiency and Regulation in the Sanitation Sector in Brazil," Discussion Papers 1059, Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada - IPEA.
- Noel Uri, 2003. "The Effect of Incentive Regulation in Telecommunications in the United States," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 169-191, May.
- Facanha, Luis Otavio & Resende, Marcelo, 2004. "Price cap regulation, incentives and quality:: The case of Brazilian telecommunications," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 92(2), pages 133-144, November.
- Akpan, Sunday Brownson & Udo, U.J. & Essien, Ubon A., 2011. "Influence of firm related factors and industrial policy regime on technology based capacity utilization in sugar industry in Nigeria," AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Czech University of Life Sciences Prague, Faculty of Economics and Management, vol. 3(3), September.
- Luigi Benfratello & Alberto Iozzi & Paola Valbonesi, 2009. "Technology and incentive regulation in the Italian motorways industry," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 201-221, April.
- Weisman, Dennis L., 2002. "Is there 'Hope' for price cap regulation?," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 349-370, September.
- Simar, Leopold & Wilson, Paul W., 2007. "Estimation and inference in two-stage, semi-parametric models of production processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 31-64, January.
- Luigi Benfratello & Alberto Iozzi & Paola Valbonesi, 2005. "Privatisation, regulation and productivity in the Italian motorway industry," "Marco Fanno" Working Papers 0002, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- Mark Frank, 2003. "An Empirical Analysis of Electricity Regulation on Technical Change in Texas," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 22(4), pages 313-331, June.
- Uri, Noel D., 2003. "The adoption of incentive regulation and its effect on technical efficiency in telecommunications in the United States," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 21-34, October.
- Weisman, Dennis L., 2002. "Strategic sharing in regulatory regimes," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 75(3), pages 361-367, May.
- Resende, Marcelo & Otavio Facanha, Luis, 2005. "Price-cap regulation and service-quality in telecommunications: an empirical study," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 1-12, January.
- Uri, Noel D., 2001. "The effect of incentive regulation on productive efficiency in telecommunications," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 23(8), pages 825-846, November.
- Noel Uri & Florence Setzer, 2003. "Assessing the Performance of the Price Cap Plan for Local Exchange Carriers in the United States," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 263-276, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.