Abstention and Aggregation in Consumer Demand: Zero Tobacco Expenditures
AbstractThis paper examines the implications of zero expenditures at the micro level for the modeling of aggregate consumer demands. Zero expenditure by an individual consumer on a good is not considered at the budget allocation stage. When such zero expenditures are included in the data the resulting parameters may be unstable, reflecting changes in the proportion of zero expenditures in the data. The issue is investigated empirically using pooled Family Expenditure Survey data for the United Kingdom. for 1970-84, focusing on the demand for tobacco. Copyright 1994 by Royal Economic Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 46 (1994)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://oep.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Timothy K.M. Beatty & Jay P. Shimshack & Michael B. Ward, 2005.
"Are Mercury Advisories Effective? Information, Education, and Fish Consumption,"
Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University
0502, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Shimshack, Jay P. & Ward, Michael B. & Beatty, Timothy K.M., 2007. "Mercury advisories: Information, education, and fish consumption," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 158-179, March.
- Shimshack, Jay P. & Ward, Michael B. & Beatty, Timothy K.M., 2007. "Mercury advisories: Information, education, and fish consumption," MPRA Paper 25995, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jay Shimshack, 2004. "Are Mercury Advisories Effective? Inofrmation, Education, and Fish Consumption," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 0423, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Yingying Dong, 2013. "How Health Insurance Affects Health Care Demand—A Structural Analysis Of Behavioral Moral Hazard And Adverse Selection," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 51(2), pages 1324-1344, 04.
- Bente Halvorsen & Runa Nesbakken, 2004. "Accounting for differences in choice opportunities in analyses of energy expenditure," Discussion Papers 400, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Pashardes, Panos, 1995. "Equivalence scales in a rank-3 demand system," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 143-158, September.
- Hatzipanayotou, Panos & Sajal Lahiri & Michael S.Michael, 2002.
"Reforms of Environmental Policies in the presence of Cross-border Pollution and Two-stage Clean-up,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002
97, Royal Economic Society.
- Panos Hatzipanayotou & Sajal Lahiri & Michael S. Michael, 2002. "Reforms of Environmental Policies in the Presence of Cross-border Pollution and Two-stage Clean-up," CESifo Working Paper Series 638, CESifo Group Munich.
- Panos Hatzipanayotou & Sajal Lahiri & Michael S. Michael, 2002. "Reforms of Environmental Policies in the Presence of Cross-border Pollution and two Stage Clean Up," University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics 0203, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- C. Vilaplana & José M. Labeaga & S. Jiménez-Martín, 2006. "Further evidence about alcohol consumption and the business cycle," Working Papers 2006-06, FEDEA.
- Steven Yen, 2005. "Zero observations and gender differences in cigarette consumption," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(16), pages 1839-1849.
- Panos Pashardes & Soteroula Hajispyrou, 2002. "Consumer Demand and Welfare under Increasing Block Pricing," University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics 0207, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- Michael Haliassos, 2002. "Stockholding: Recent Lessons from Theory and Computations," University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics 0206, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- Takashi Unayama, 2006. "The Engel curve for alcohol and the rank of demand systems," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(7), pages 1019-1038.
- Abdulbaki Bilgic & Wojciech Florkowski & Cuma Akbay, 2010. "Demand for cigarettes in Turkey: an application of count data models," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 39(3), pages 733-765, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.