Data-driven selection of the spline dimension in penalized spline regression
AbstractA number of criteria exist to select the penalty in penalized spline regression, but the selection of the number of spline basis functions has received much less attention in the literature. We propose a likelihood-based criterion to select the number of basis functions in penalized spline regression. The criterion is easy to apply and we describe its theoretical and practical properties. Copyright 2011, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Biometrika Trust in its journal Biometrika.
Volume (Year): 98 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://biomet.oxfordjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kuhlenkasper, Torben & Steinhardt, Max Friedrich, 2012.
"Who leaves and when? Selective outmigration of immigrants from Germany,"
HWWI Research Papers
128, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- Torben Kuhlenkasper & Max Friedrich Steinhardt, 2012. "Who Leaves and When?: Selective Outmigration of Immigrants from Germany," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 490, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Torben Kuhlenkasper & Max Friedrich Steinhardt, 2012. "Who Leaves and When? - Selective Outmigration of Immigrants from Germany," Discussion Papers 3, Central European Labour Studies Institute (CELSI).
- Torben Kuhlenkasper & Max Friedrich Steinhardt, 2011.
"Unemployment Duration in Germany – A comprehensive study with dynamic hazard models and P-Splines,"
Norface Discussion Paper Series
2011018, Norface Research Programme on Migration, Department of Economics, University College London.
- Kuhlenkasper, Torben & Steinhardt, Max Friedrich, 2011. "Unemployment duration in Germany: A comprehensive study with dynamic hazard models and P-Splines," HWWI Research Papers 111, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- Smith, Michael S. & Kauermann, Göran, 2011. "Bicycle commuting in Melbourne during the 2000s energy crisis: A semiparametric analysis of intraday volumes," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 45(10), pages 1846-1862.
- Christian Schellhase & Göran Kauermann, 2012. "Density estimation and comparison with a penalized mixture approach," Computational Statistics, Springer, vol. 27(4), pages 757-777, December.
- Blöchl, Andreas, 2014. "Trend Estimation with Penalized Splines as Mixed Models for Series with Structural Breaks," Discussion Papers in Economics 18446, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.