Price Dynamics in a Vertical Sector: The Case of Butter
AbstractWe develop a reduced-form model of price transmission in a vertical sector, allowing for refined asymmetric, contemporaneous and lagged, own and cross-price effects under time-varying volatility. The model is used to investigate the wholesale-retail price dynamics in the U.S. butter market. The analysis documents the nature of nonlinear price dynamics in a vertical sector. It finds strong evidence of asymmetric retail price responses, both in the short term and the longer term, but only weak evidence of asymmetric wholesale price responses. Asymmetric retail responses play a major role in generating a skewed distribution of butter prices. The empirical results indicate the presence of imperfect competition at the retail level. Copyright 2004, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 86 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Chavas, Jean-Paul & Mehta, Aashish, 2002. "Price Dynamics in a Vertical Sector: The Case of Butter," Staff Paper Series 452, University of Wisconsin, Agricultural and Applied Economics.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Toda, Hiro Y & Phillips, Peter C B, 1993.
"Vector Autoregressions and Causality,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(6), pages 1367-93, November.
- Zellner, Arnold & Palm, Franz, 1974.
"Time series analysis and simultaneous equation econometric models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 17-54, May.
- ZELLNER, Arnold & PALM, Franz, . "Time series analysis and simultaneous equation econometric models," CORE Discussion Papers RP -173, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Zellner, Arnold & Palm, Franz, 1974. "Time series analysis and simultaneous equation econometric models," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-5746, Maastricht University.
- Potter, Simon M., 2000.
"Nonlinear impulse response functions,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 24(10), pages 1425-1446, September.
- Sam Peltzman, 1998.
"Prices Rise Faster Than They Fall,"
University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State
142, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Blinder, Alan S, 1982.
"Inventories and Sticky Prices: More on the Microfoundations of Macroeconomics,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 72(3), pages 334-48, June.
- Alan S. Blinder, 1983. "Inventories and Sticky Prices: More on the Microfoundations of Macroeconomics," NBER Working Papers 0620, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Koop, Gary & Potter, Simon M, 1999.
"Dynamic Asymmetries in U.S. Unemployment,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 17(3), pages 298-312, July.
- Severin Borenstein & A. Colin Cameron, 1992.
"Do Gasoline Prices Respond Asymmetrically to Crude Oil Price Changes?,"
NBER Working Papers
4138, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Borenstein, Severin & Cameron, A Colin & Gilbert, Richard, 1997. "Do Gasoline Prices Respond Asymmetrically to Crude Oil Price Changes?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 112(1), pages 305-39, February.
- Koutroumanidis, Theodoros & Zafeiriou, Eleni & Arabatzis, Garyfallos, 2009. "Asymmetry in price transmission between the producer and the consumer prices in the wood sector and the role of imports: The case of Greece," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 56-64, January.
- Ben Shepherd, 2005. "Market Power in International Commodity Processing Chains: Preliminary Results from the Coffee Market," International Trade 0511013, EconWPA.
- Pan, Suwen & Mohanty, Samarendu & Fadiga, Mohamadou L., 2003. "Price Relationships In The U.S. Fiber Markets: Its Implications For Cotton Industry," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22138, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Hassouneh, Islam & Serra, Teresa & Gil, Jose Maria, 2009. "Price transmission in the Spanish bovine sector: the BSE effect," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 50121, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Abdessalem Abbassi & Lota D. Tamini & Jean‐Philippe Gervais, 2012.
"Do Inventories Have an Impact on Price Transmission? Evidence From the Canadian Chicken Industry,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(2), pages 173-186, 03.
- Abbassi, Abdessalem & Tamini, Lota D. & Gervais, Jean-Philippe, 2011. "Do inventories have an impact on price transmission? Evidence from the Canadian chicken industry," MPRA Paper 30868, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jean-Philippe Gervais, 2011.
"Disentangling nonlinearities in the long- and short-run price relationships: an application to the US hog/pork supply chain,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(12), pages 1497-1510.
- Gervais, Jean-Philippe, 2007. "Disentangling non-linearities in the long- and short-run price relationships: An application to the U.S. hog/Pork supply chain," MPRA Paper 7743, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 15 Jan 2008.
- Holm, Thore & Loy, Jens-Peter & Steinhagen, Carsten, 2012. "Bio Auch Bei Der Preissetzung: Konsummilch In Deutschland," 52nd Annual Conference, Stuttgart, Germany, September 26-28, 2012 137159, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Xia, Tian & Li, Xianghong, 2009. "Asymmetric Price Transmission and Demand Characteristics," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49400, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Mehta, Aashish & Chavas, Jean-Paul, 2004.
"Responding to the Coffee Crisis: What Can We Learn from Price Dynamics,"
Staff Paper Series
472, University of Wisconsin, Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Mehta, Aashish & Chavas, Jean-Paul, 2008. "Responding to the coffee crisis: What can we learn from price dynamics?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(1-2), pages 282-311, February.
- Goetz, Linde & von Cramon-Taubadel, Stephan, 2008. "Considering threshold effects in the long-run equilibrium in a vector error correction model: An application to the German apple market," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44247, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Monia Ben-Kaabia & José M. Gil & Mehrez Ameur, 2005. "Vertical integration and non-linear price adjustments: The Spanish poultry sector," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(2), pages 253-271.
- Loy, Jens-Peter & Holm, Thore & Steinhagen, Carsten, 2012. "Vertical Price Transmission In Differentiated Product Markets: A Disaggregated Study For Milk And Butter," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 123284, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Octavio Fernández Amador & Josef Baumgartner & Jesús Crespo Cuaresma, .
"Milking the Prices: The Role of Asymmetries in the Price Transmission Mechanism for Milk Products in Austria,"
WIFO Working Papers
- Octavio Fern?ndez-Amador & Josef Baumgartner & Jes?s Crespo-Cuaresma, 2010. "Milking The Prices: The Role of Asymmetries in the Price Transmission Mechanism for Milk Products in Austria," Working Papers 2010-21, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
- Serra, Teresa & Gil, Jose Maria & Goodwin, Barry K., 2006. "Local Polynomial Fitting and Spatial Price Relationships: Price Transmission in the EU Markets for Pigmeat," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25388, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Hassouneh, Islam & Radwan, Amr & Serra, Teresa & Gil, José M., 2012. "Food scare crises and developing countries: The impact of avian influenza on vertical price transmission in the Egyptian poultry sector," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 264-274.
- Du, Ying & Stiegert, Kyle W., 2009. "Strategic Vertical Pricing in the U.S. Butter Market," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 51712, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Holm, Thore & Steinhagen, Carsten & Loy, Jens-Peter, 2010. "Preistransmission Für Konsummilch Und Butter In Den Verschiedenen Distributionskanälen Des Lebensmiteleinzelhandels," 50st Annual Conference, Braunschweig, Germany, September 29-October 1, 2010 93954, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.