Multi-Output, Nonfrontier Primal Measures of Capacity and Capacity Utilization
AbstractThis article implements an econometric approach for generating primal capacity output and utilization measures for fisheries. In situations where regulatory, environmental, and resource conditions affect catch levels but are not independently identified in the data, frontier-based capacity models may interpret such impacts as production inefficiency. However, if such inefficiencies are unlikely to be eliminated, the implied potential output increases may be unrealistic. We develop a multi-output, multi-input stochastic transformation function framework that permits various assumptions about how output composition may change when operating at full capacity. We apply our model to catcher-processor vessels in the Alaskan pollock fishery. Copyright 2004, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 86 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ronald Felthoven & William Horrace & Kurt Schnier, 2009.
"Estimating heterogeneous capacity and capacity utilization in a multi-species fishery,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 173-189, December.
- Ronald G. Felthovan & William C. Horrace & Kurt E. Schnier, 2006. "Estimating Heterogeneous Capacity and Capacity Utilization in a Multi-Species Fishery," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 86, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Greenville, Jared W. & MacAulay, T. Gordon, 2006. "A Bioeconomic Analysis of Protected Area use in Fisheries Management," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21469, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- repec:ags:mareec:6265 is not listed on IDEAS
- Catherine Paul & Marcelo O. Torres & Ronald Felthoven, 2009. "Fishing Revenue, Productivity and Product Choice in the Alaskan Pollock Fishery," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 44(4), pages 457-474, December.
- Pascoe, Sean & Tingley, Diana, 2006. "Economic capacity estimation in fisheries: A non-parametric ray approach," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 124-138, May.
- Greenville, Jared W. & MacAulay, T. Gordon, 2007. "Bioeconomic analysis of protected area use in fisheries management," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 51(4), December.
- Greenville, Jared W. & MacAulay, T. Gordon, 2006. "A Bioeconomic Analysis of Protected Area use in Fisheries Management," 2006 Conference (50th), February 8-10, 2006, Sydney, Australia 139738, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Morrison Paul, Catherine J. & Felthoven, Ronald G. & de O. Torres, Marcelo, 2010. "Productive performance in fisheries: modeling, measurement, and management," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 54(3), September.
- repec:ags:mareec:28147 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.