Estimating heterogeneous capacity and capacity utilization in a multi-species fishery
AbstractWe use a stochastic production frontier model to investigate the presence of heterogeneous production and its impact on fleet capacity and capacity utilization in a multi-species fishery. Furthermore, we propose a new fleet capacity estimate that incorporates complete information on the stochastic differences between each vessel-specific technical efficiency distribution. Results indicate that ignoring heterogeneity in production technologies within a multi-species fishery, as well as the complete distribution of a vessel's technical efficiency socre, may yield erroneous fleet-wide production profiles and estimates of capacity. Furthermore, our new estimate of capacity enables out-of-sample production predictions predicated on either homogeneity or heterogeneity modeling which may be utuilized to facilitate policy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Productivity Analysis.
Volume (Year): 32 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100296
Stochastic frontier; Efficiency probability; C16; D24; Q22;
Other versions of this item:
- Ronald G. Felthovan & William C. Horrace & Kurt E. Schnier, 2006. "Estimating Heterogeneous Capacity and Capacity Utilization in a Multi-Species Fishery," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 86, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- N50 - Economic History - - Agriculture, Natural Resources, Environment and Extractive Industries - - - General, International, or Comparative
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reid, Christopher & Squires, Dale & Jeon, Yongil & Rodwell, Len & Clarke, Raymond, 2003. "An analysis of fishing capacity in the western and central Pacific Ocean tuna fishery and management implications," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 449-469, November.
- Schnier, Kurt E. & Anderson, Christopher M., 2006. "Decision making in patchy resource environments: Spatial misperception of bioeconomic models," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 234-254, October.
- Guyader, Olivier & Daures, Fabienne & Fifas, Spyros & Ifremer, 2004. "A Bioeconomic Analysis Of The Impact Of Decommissioning Programs: Application To A Limited-Entry French Scallop Fishery," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 19(2).
- Kenneth Train, 2003.
"Discrete Choice Methods with Simulation,"
Online economics textbooks,
SUNY-Oswego, Department of Economics, number emetr2.
- El-Gamal, Mahmoud A. & Grether, David M., 1995. "Are People Bayesian? Uncovering Behavioral Strategies," Working Papers 919, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Weninger, Quinn & Waters, James R., 2003.
"Economic Benefits of Management Reform in the Northern Gulf of Mexico Reef Fish Fishery,"
Staff General Research Papers
10828, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Weninger, Quinn & Waters, James R., 2003. "Economic benefits of management reform in the northern Gulf of Mexico reef fish fishery," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 207-230, September.
- Antonio Alvarez & Peter Schmidt, 2006. "Is skill more important than luck in explaining fish catches?," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 15-25, August.
- Johan A. Mistiaen & Ivar E. Strand, 2000. "Location Choice of Commercial Fishermen with Heterogeneous Risk Preferences," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(5), pages 1184-1190.
- Kurt E. Schnier & Christopher M. Anderson & William C. Horrace, 2006. "Estimating Heterogeneous Production in Fisheries," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 80, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Tom Kompas & Tuong Nhu Che & R. Quentin Grafton, 2003.
"Technical Efficiency Effects of Input Controls: Evidence from Australia's Banana Prawn Fishery,"
Economics and Environment Network Working Papers
0304, Australian National University, Economics and Environment Network.
- Tom Kompas & Tuong Nhu Che & R. Quentin Grafton, 2004. "Technical efficiency effects of input controls: evidence from Australia's banana prawn fishery," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(15), pages 1631-1641.
- Tom Kompas & Tuong Nhu Che & R. Quentin Grafton, 2003. "Technical efficiency effects of input controls: evidence from Australia's banana prawn fishery," International and Development Economics Working Papers idec03-3, International and Development Economics.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Kokkelenberg, Edward C, 1989. "Measuring Plant Capacity, Utilization and Technical Change: A Nonparametric Approach," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 30(3), pages 655-66, August.
- Louis Putterman & Christopher M. Anderson, 2003.
"Do Non-strategic Sanctions Obey the Law of Demand? The Demand for Punishment in the Voluntary Contribution Mechanism,"
2003-15, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Anderson, Christopher M. & Putterman, Louis, 2006. "Do non-strategic sanctions obey the law of demand? The demand for punishment in the voluntary contribution mechanism," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 1-24, January.
- Alfonso Flores-Lagunes & William C. Horrace & Kurt E. Schnier, 2007.
"Identifying technically efficient fishing vessels: a non-empty, minimal subset approach,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(4), pages 729-745.
- Alfonso Flores-Lagunes & William C. Horrace & Kurt E. Schnier, 2006. "Identifying Technically Efficient Fishing Vessels: A Non-Empty, Minimal Subset Approach," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 78, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Sharma, Khem R. & Leung, PingSun, 1998. "Technical Efficiency Of The Longline Fishery In Hawaii: An Application Of A Stochastic Production Frontier," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 13(4).
- Provencher, Bill & Bishop, R.C.Richard C., 2004. "Does accounting for preference heterogeneity improve the forecasting of a random utility model? A case study," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 793-810, July.
- Greene, William, 2005. "Reconsidering heterogeneity in panel data estimators of the stochastic frontier model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 269-303, June.
- Kenneth E. Train, 1998. "Recreation Demand Models with Taste Differences over People," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 74(2), pages 230-239.
- Sean Pascoe & Louisa Coglan, 2002. "The Contribution of Unmeasurable Inputs to Fisheries Production: An Analysis of Technical Efficiency of Fishing Vessels in the English Channel," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(3), pages 585-597.
- Riccardo Scarpa & Mara Thiene, 2004. "Destination Choice Models for Rock Climbing in the Northeast Alps: A Latent-Class Approach Based on Intensity of Participation," Working Papers 2004.131, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Smith, Martin D., 2005. "State dependence and heterogeneity in fishing location choice," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 319-340, September.
- Luis Orea & Subal C. Kumbhakar, 2004. "Efficiency measurement using a latent class stochastic frontier model," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 169-183, January.
- Felthoven, Ronald G., 2002. "Effects Of The American Fisheries Act On Capacity, Utilization And Technical Efficiency," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 17(3).
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Ronald G. Felthoven & Catherine J. Morrison Paul, 2004. "Multi-Output, Nonfrontier Primal Measures of Capacity and Capacity Utilization," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(3), pages 619-633.
- Battese, George E. & Coelli, Tim J., 1988. "Prediction of firm-level technical efficiencies with a generalized frontier production function and panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 387-399, July.
- Tom Kompas & Tuong Nhu Che, 2003. "Efficiency Gains and Cost Reductions from Individual Transferable Quotas: A Stochastic Cost Frontier for," International and Development Economics Working Papers idec03-6, International and Development Economics.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
- Viswanathan, K. Kuperan & Omar, Ishak Haji & Jeon, Yongil & Kirkley, James E. & Squires, Dale & Susilowati, Indah, 2001. "Fishing Skill In Developing Country Fisheries: The Kedah, Malaysia Trawl Fishery," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 16(4).
- Horrace, William C., 2005.
"On ranking and selection from independent truncated normal distributions,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 335-354, June.
- William C. Horrace, 2003. "On Ranking and Selection from Independent Truncated Normal Distributions," Econometrics 0306009, EconWPA.
- Fousekis, Panos, 2002. "Distance Vs. Ray Functions: An Application To The Inshore Fishery Of Greece," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 17(4).
- James E. Kirkley & Dale Squires & Mohammad Ferdous Alam & Haji Omar Ishak, 2003. "Excess Capacity and Asymmetric Information in Developing Country Fisheries: The Malaysian Purse Seine Fishery," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(3), pages 647-662.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.