Wheat Storage and Trade in an Efficient Global Market
AbstractDomestic and international linkages in speculative stockholdings and trade of wheat are analyzed using a dynamic rational expectations model of the world wheat market dominated by the U.S. and the EU. The results demonstrate the importance of endogenizing both storage and trade in studying commodity markets and suggest that past government stockholdings have not followed efficient market outcomes. Results indicate that elimination of the Export Enhancement Program by the U.S. and of export restitution payments by the EU are unlikely to have a major impact on wheat exports from the two regions but will save millions of tax dollars in both regions. Copyright 1996, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 78 (1996)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- McNew, Kevin & Smith, Vincent H., 2003. "Segregation of Grain Markets: Consequences for Price Behavior," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 28(01), April.
- Fabienne Féménia & Alexandre Gohin, 2010. "Faut-il une intervention publique pour stabiliser les marchés agricoles ? Revue des questions non résolues," Review of Agricultural and Environmental Studies - Revue d'Etudes en Agriculture et Environnement, INRA Department of Economics, vol. 91(4), pages 435-456.
- Femenia, Fabienne, 2011. "To Subsidize or Not to Subsidize Private Storage? Evaluation of the Effects of Private Storage Subsidies as an Instrument to Stabilize Agricultural Markets After CAP Reforms," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114360, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Tweeten, Luther G., 1999. "Trade, Uncertainty And New Farm Programs," Economics and Sociology Occasional Papers 28330, Ohio State University, Department of Agricultural, Environmental and Development Economics.
- Christophe Gouel & Sébastien Jean, 2012.
"Optimal Food Price Stabilization in a Small Open Developing Country,"
2012-01, CEPII research center.
- Gouel, Christophe & Jean, Sebastien, 2012. "Optimal food price stabilization in a small open developing country," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5943, The World Bank.
- Thompson, Stanley R. & Gohout, Wolfgang, 2000. "Cap Reform, Wheat Price Instability And Producer Welfare," 2000 Annual meeting, July 30-August 2, Tampa, FL 21780, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Larson, Donald F. & Lampietti, Julian & Gouel, Christophe & Cafiero, Carlo & Roberts, John, 2012. "Food security and storage in the Middle East and North Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6031, The World Bank.
- Srinivasan, P. V. & Jha, Shikha, 2001. "Liberalized trade and domestic price stability. The case of rice and wheat in India," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 417-441, August.
- Makki, Shiva S. & Miranda, Mario J., 1998. "Self-Insurance And The Utility Of Standard Risk Management Contracts," 1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT 20975, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- C. S. C. Sekhar, 2010. "Structure of the World Wheat Market: Some Implications for Strategic Trade Policy?," Journal of Quantitative Economics, The Indian Econometric Society, vol. 8(2), pages 142-158.
- Liu, Xianglin & Romero-Aguilar, Randall S. & Chen, Shu-Ling & Miranda, Mario J., 2013. "The Global Food Price Crisis and China-World Rice Market Integration: A Spatial-Temporal Rational Expectations Equilibrium Model," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 149965, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.