The currency denomination of New Zealand’s unhedged foreign reserves
AbstractIn July 2007 the Reserve Bank added un-hedged foreign currency assets to its foreign reserves portfolio. This means that some of the Bank’s reserves are now funded directly in New Zealand dollar (NZD)-denominated borrowings as opposed to in foreign currency. When reserves are fully hedged, foreign currency assets are matched with foreign currency liabilities, leaving little net foreign exchange (FX) risk. When reserves are held on an unhedged basis, the level of FX risk is greater and the relative rate of return associated with alternative foreign reserve currencies are more variable. These different properties make the composition of the basket of foreign reserve currencies the Reserve Bank holds more important and requires the development of a strategic FX benchmark to guide the investment of the Bank’s unhedged reserves. This article describes the development and implementation of the Reserve Bank’s new strategic FX benchmark.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Reserve Bank of New Zealand in its journal Reserve Bank of New Zealand Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 73 (2010)
Issue (Month): (September)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- D10 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - General
- R20 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kelly Eckhold, 2010. "The Reserve Bank’s new approach to holding and managing its foreign reserves," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Bulletin, Reserve Bank of New Zealand, vol. 73, pages 47-64, June.
- Kelly Eckhold & Chris Hunt, 2005. "The Reserve Bank's new foreign exchange intervention policy," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Bulletin, Reserve Bank of New Zealand, vol. 68, March.
- Kelly Eckhold & Chris Hunt, 2005. "The Reserve Bank of New Zealand’s new foreign exchange intervention policy," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Foreign exchange market intervention in emerging markets: motives, techniques and implications, volume 24, pages 231-41 Bank for International Settlements.
- Robert N McCauley & Jean-François Rigaudy, 2011. "Managing foreign exchange reserves in the crisis and after," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Portfolio and risk management for central banks and sovereign wealth funds, volume 58, pages 19-47 Bank for International Settlements.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Reserve Bank of New Zealand Knowledge Centre).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.