Experiments on Entrepreneurial Decision Making: A Different Lens Through Which to Look at Entrepreneurship
AbstractIn this paper, we propose that researchers might analyze key questions in entrepreneurship as problems of decision making. We believe that this allows for new insights. Experiments are especially suited to empirically test hypotheses derived within such a framework. In this paper, we thus introduce the decision-making perspective as well as general characteristics of the experimental method. We also discuss existing experimental studies in entrepreneurship with respect to the use of a decision-making perspective and specifics of their experimental designs. Finally, we present "research cases" that demonstrate the shift in perspective that occurs when common questions in entrepreneurship are analyzed through the lens of decision making. We conclude that entrepreneurial decision making (EDM) bears the potential of a scientific paradigm. This paper is intended to stimulate theory development to establish such a paradigm and (experimental) research within the perspective of EDM.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by now publishers in its journal Foundations and Trends(R) in Entrepreneurship.
Volume (Year): 5 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.nowpublishers.com/
Experimental economics; Entrepreneurship; Decision-making; Entrepreneurship; Decision science; Experimental economics; Behavioral economics;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sandri, Serena & Schade, Christian & Musshoff, Oliver & Odening, Martin, 2010.
"Holding on for too long? An experimental study on inertia in entrepreneurs’ and non-entrepreneurs’ disinvestment choices,"
Structural Change in Agriculture/Strukturwandel im Agrarsektor (SiAg) Working Papers
59518, Humboldt University Berlin, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Sandri, Serena & Schade, Christian & Mußhoff, Oliver & Odening, Martin, 2010. "Holding on for too long? An experimental study on inertia in entrepreneurs' and non-entrepreneurs' disinvestment choices," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 30-44, October.
- D. Urbig & G.U. Weitzel & S. Rosenkranz & A. van Witteloostuijn, 2011.
"Exploiting opportunities at all cost? Entrepreneurial intent and externalities,"
11-05, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Urbig, Diemo & Weitzel, Utz & Rosenkranz, Stephanie & Witteloostuijn, Arjen van, 2012. "Exploiting opportunities at all cost? Entrepreneurial intent and externalities," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 379-393.
- Hülsbeck, Marcel & Lehmann, Erik E. & Weiß, Dominik & Wirsching, Katharine, 2011. "Innovationsverhalten in Familienunternehmen," UO Working Papers 02-11, University of Augsburg, Chair of Management and Organization.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alet Heezemans).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.